Thursday, July 13, 2017

Rabe Home Services


  As you know we are on the search for a truck, but Tim is rethinking just what type will be right for his day to day use.  With using the Saturn Relay he has a lift gate and it provides a cover over him if it rains and a nice place to step out of the sun. A truck won't do that, so we are thinking, perhaps, we'll look at Trailblazers or a Tahoe.  Thanks for your continued prayers (you know who you are, ladies!) and interest.

Our business is nearly two years old and is growing every year.  We are thankful.  Its been stretching, and hard sometimes, but we do see God's hand.

On Tuesday, Tim had to take water to an inspection (this is why we need a vehicle that can tow), and needed to use my dad's Suburban, but he needed his tools and didn't want to move everything over to the 'burb.  So I drove his Relay and he hauled the water.

There are 250 gallons of water in each of these totes.  He uses hoses and a pump to put this water into the septic system of this house.  The idea is that you test a system of a house, that has been empty or is having more people move in than there are people moving out, to determine whether the system can handle the load.  For example a four bedroom house, should be able to handle 500 gallons of water a day.  With this kind of test (called a hydraulic load test) you do this for two days and measure the liquid level in the drain field of the system.

He also has to probe and measure the layout of the absorption area (which could be either a drain field or trenches) to determine the size.

This inspection started at 3:00 in the afternoon, and he'd already done two inspections that day. (not all inspections require a hydraulic load test)  It was hot and humid, and we were both sweating like crazy!

I didn't have a lot to do for him, but I did record measurements and information for him


This system was from the 1960's, which was interesting, but it did not pass its test, and a new system will be needed.

I also got to look down into an access port and watch for the flow of water from the flushing of toilets.  It lets an inspector know whether there are issues with a system, by how the water flows.

He also has to check the tank (not go in it) to see if the tank is in good condition, to see if all the filters, and baffles etc, are in good repair.


I had a pretty view to look at while we were there.

I am glad that I get to go with him some days, to help or just to ride along.  It lets me see how hard he works, and experience the weather conditions as well.  I have such a deep thankfulness for his work on behalf of our family.

I'm sure you learned more about septic inspections than you wanted to know, and if you're still with me, Bravo!  You're a true friend!

14 comments:

  1. Your expression is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hot and humid and I was sweaty!

      Delete
  2. Haha! That is some pretty technical stuff that I did not realize. I thought all you had to was flip the handle and down it went...although I have experienced those moments when something was wrong, and it is quite obvious when it is! Good for you, that you can go to work with your hubby every now and then! Thanks for the inservice! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its very technical! Lots to check because it can affect a sale of a home with a septic system. Somethings are easy to fix and in other situations a whole new (expensive) system is needed!

      Delete
  3. Working together! I love that! It's wonderful to hear your business is doing well!
    God will provide the right truck at the right time, I'm sure! Until then, you two are being pretty creative at doing what you need to do yo get the job done!
    You look great, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If we had had Tim test out our septic system 27 years ago before we moved here we would have known we were going to have septic work done shortly after moving. One person lived here for a long time then all of a sudden two adults and a child and it just couldn't keep up! We love our men and appreciate the hard work they put in for their families. I'm sure Tim appreciates your hard work when you help him too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, an inspection can make all the difference!

      He does like it when I come along, so some days when he has only one inspection, I go with him!

      Delete
  5. This was actually very, very interesting. I enjoy having a look at fellow bloggers' daily lives. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like reading about peoples lives too!

      Delete
  6. We have purchased two very old (1920's) homes and have been through these very involved inspection processes more than once. I watched these gentleman and you are right, it is not an easy job. Our first home passed easily as a new system had been put in by the sellers. We are truly grateful to the men who inspected our second home. It had a very dangerous system and it actually collapsed during inspection. Everyone was ok, but I often think that if we hadn't had it inspected, it could've happened with my children in the yard. So glad your business is booming and hopefully a truck solution is in the works!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, that was just fascinating... really interesting. Who knew all that went into an inspection... I didn't! And love the photo of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I certainly learned something today! And I'll pray for the right vehicle. We have a Tahoe with heavy duty suspension and we use it to pull our boat, and a utility trailer that gets used by many family members and friends. It's good to have a practical vehicle.
    This post reminded me that one summer, between Bible college years, I headed up a crew of girls at a Bible camp (before camp began) and we dug, by hand, many of the trenches for a water/septic system that was being installed. I can't imagine doing that these days.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!