Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Lots Going On Around Here


We have our year end evaluations yesterday.  Rachel is done with 8th grade and Sarah is done with 5th!  Congratulations girls.

I am always happy to take a break - seems like there is always something to take over the time we used to spend on school.

This next month it will be closing our store.  We have great product and customers but the economy is struggling despite what you might be hearing.  I see it reflected everyday.  Our store pays for itself but doesn't really pay us, and we are not into it for the hobby factor.

I am also working on my passport for my trip to Scotland.  We have decided to just focus on Scotland and not England this time.  We are excited about this trip!  My nephew Evan is meeting us in Scotland (he'll be there doing some volunteer work already) and together with Lindsay, my dad and I we are going to visit ancestral lands, sleep on the Isle of Skye, go to the Edinburgh Tattoo...

Lindsay and I hope to come home speaking with an accent, we'll see!



Rachel is now 14. She is growing into a beautiful young woman, sweet spirited and gentle.


 So much her personality - her sisters know her well!  

 
Delightful cake from Costco.

Life continues its march....two more birthdays this summer. Sarah 
will be 11 and then Kyle will be 8.  

What's happening in your life?

9 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to Rachel! Love her shoes! My daughter would, too, as she's been sporting a hot pink pair.

    Sorry to read that the store has not provided additional income. Your thinking about it seems spot on to me as is your assessment that the economy is in the tank. It reminds me of Judge Judy's little expression. We are being told one thing when we know very well that it's quite another.

    Now John's maternal ancestry hails from Scotland...I'll take that discussion behind the scenes, it would be wild if we learn that you're all related, but then we know that already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to all of you on the end of the school year. Each year is an accomplishment!

    So sorry about the store. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision to make.

    You DO have a lot going on-but it's going to be a great summer for you. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about the store. It is a shame that the quilt museum closed a few years ago. I think that really hurt businesses like yours. There just isn't enough tourist foot traffic now.

    You really do have a lot going on in your life....Congrats on finishing another school year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can imagine the excitement in your "heart" as you plan for Scotland. I hear you about not into the store for "hobby". Just too much work & energy tied up to make it a wise decision, right?

    I'm getting ready to leave for 5 days at the Abbey of Gethsemani (KY) for a "silent retreat" - no talking! I did this a couple of years ago with a small group of friends; had to miss last year; and am really looking forward to this experience again.

    Trying to tie up loose ends, make some meals ahead for hubby, etc. is keeping me busy before I leave early Monday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always changes, always challenges...and, hopefully, always joy in it all.

    I started to say that I am sorry about the store, but I had to delete it as the Lord reminded me that HE is in control and He has designed only good things for His children. I am sorry if you are experiencing disappointment.

    Oh, but the other changes...growing, maturing children, growing in His grace...successful completion of another school year and a little break in the schedule...and your and Lindsay's exciting trip...blessings you can see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry the store is closing but continue the on-line shop and sell your beautiful goodies:) Have a blessed week, looks like a mighty fun birthday! Beautiful girl! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to Rachel!

    I'm sorry to hear about your store. I'd love to buy a purse before you close! Is the online store still up and running? I'll have to check it out again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness, they are growing up so beautiful!
    Cake looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm so sorry your shop is closing, and know full well about supporting the shop but not beyond. at this point my lil shop is paying for itself with a few pennies left over. i see it as taking time for creative process but know that most likely i'll not be renewing my contract. i love how the Lord allows things (even business ventures, perhaps especially business ventures) to do a different or deeper work in His children's hearts. that's the case with me. a new season is coming.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...