Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

With The Solstice Came The Heat (Embracing Summer)



With our mild winter, our mild, then cold spring, I wondered whether summer would be hot.  A few days in and I can say that so far it is!

With the heat has come humidity, too, and those of us at home, or who work indoors, have air conditioning but those who work outdoors are feeling it.

Tim works outdoors.  He is already tan, and he is in the season of taking an extra shirt to change into.  When you are meeting home owners or the buyers of a property, you don't want to be stinky.  Thankfully, he fixed the air conditioning in his work vehicle, that had been out for a few years, and he is loving it.

Summer, has never been my favorite season, except when I was a kid.  The last few years I've come to appreciate summer in ways I never have before.  I think mostly because of my garden.


If there was no summer, there would be no hydrangea, few roses, no echinacea, no zinnia, no daylilies, no morning glories, no tomatoes, or strawberries.  No peaches, no sweet corn.

You get the idea. 

Also no fireflies!

I like to sit outside in the evenings in the summer, and look at the sky, don't you?  I love to watch the movement of the stars and planets.  Look for satellites. Drink iced tea, and talk.

My parents pool had to be taken down last fall, and they waited to buy a new one, but then Covid hit and along with every chick in the country being purchased, every pool was too!  They can't find one in the size they want.  We are hoping that one will be available, because playing in the pool is fun, and hot, humid evenings in a pool is the best!



Due to Covid there are some changes to our normal summer schedule but not too much.  We don't often vacation in the summer, because as homeschoolers we can go on vacations after the summer 'season' and still enjoy warm weather, but often prices are half of what they are in the summer.  I'm looking forward to spending time in person with friends, eating outside, going to tea.  

Life changes big time in the autumn this year as Sarah will start studies at a small bible school in South Carolina, in September, so we are embracing summer and making memories!

What about you? Are you embracing summer?

1 comment:

  1. After reading the paragraph on all the good things that summer brings, I am going to have to rethink this. 😁

    Hope that your parents find a pool. Both my kids love their pools. I bought this house based on the fact that it had a pool. Ha! It didn't quite work out the way I first thought.

    How quickly the family has grown up. I can't believe Sarah is flying the coop next. 🕊

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Things I Like

  Brenda from It's A Beautiful Life blog did a post with this title and I enjoyed her list so I thought I'd do something similar. He...