Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Friday, January 22, 2021

Friday Five - Past Knitting Projects

 I am going grocery shopping today, and I may pop in to Hobby Lobby for some yarn.  My mom wants a new knit hat, and I need to keep my hands busy.













I came across this quote which I shared years ago, and I still find it to be good encouragement.


"To live content with small means;
To seek elegance rather than luxury,
and refinement rather than fashion;
To be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not rich;
To study hard, think quietly,
Talk gently,
Act frankly;
To listen to stars and birds, to babes and sages,
with open heart;
To bear all cheerfully,
Do all bravely,
Await occasions,
Hurry never.
In a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious,
grow up through the common.
This is to be my symphony."
William Henry Channing

From my devotional (New Morning Mercies by Paul David Tripp) on January 20th - 

"Hope is not a situation. Hope is not a location. Hope is not a possession. Hope is not an experience. Hope is more than an insight or a truism. Hope is a person, and his name is Jesus! He comes to you and makes a commitment of hope: "And Behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." (Matt 28:20) Now, there's hope. You have something profoundly deeper to hold on to than the hope that people will be nice to you, that your job will work out, that you will make good choices when tempted, that you'll be smart enough to make good decisions, that you'll be able to avoid poverty or sickness, or that you'll have a good place to live and enough to eat. No, this is eternal and deeply personal hope. It rests in the truth that Jesus has wrapped his powerful arms around you and he will never, ever let you go. If nothing you envisioned ever works out and all the bad things that you've dreaded come your way, you still have hope, because his is with you in power and grace."


I wish you all a lovely weekend.  




9 comments:

  1. Encouraging thoughts-thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful definition of hope . . . that doesn't change according to circumstances. Thank you for sharing that.

    I love your knitting! I wore the cowl that you knitted for me yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have long loved the Symphony poem and memorized it along with my children when we were homeschooling. Thank you for sharing that. I am going to print it off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that Hope is a person. Yes, we know that horrid things, unwelcome things, come our way, yet, though He slay us, we will trust in Him. He will lead us on. I have felt pretty "slayed" this week. 😏

    Knitting can be so calming. I wore my neck warmer today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Thanks for these encouraging words! I wish you a wonderful, peaceful weekend dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always enjoyed seeing your wonderful knitting projects. You always have the most gorgeous yarns. What an inspirational poem by William Channing -- I've copied it out for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This:"If nothing you envisioned ever works out and all the bad things that you've dreaded come your way, you still have hope, because he is with you in power and grace." That's it! That's the hope believers can rest on. I love what you shared here, Deanna. Thank you. Your knitting is beautiful. I'm sure it brings you a lot of pleasure. God bless you, friend. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog. I don't comment on too many blogs but just occasionally. What you wrote today spoke to me. It is so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes. Hope, Amen to that.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Mrs. Rabe,
    This is Naomi Groff (used to be Herr)....I worked with Emma at S&S. I love reading your blog, though I've never commented. It's been a rough week and I just wanted to say that the poem and devotional were very encouraging. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...