Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Rehydrating Annabelle Hydrangea

 These are my Annabelle Hydrangea in the garden.


This is what they should look like when cut and it a pitcher.


I cut a few Annabelle's Sunday evening to bring into the house. They were lovely. However, I forgot my cardinal rule for hydrangea. I forgot to dip them into Alum before putting them into the vase.

I had this yesterday.


ugh.

Last evening I put the flower heads into water to rehydrate them, and had some success. The above photo is after rehydrating.  You can see a bit of the flower heads in front that have rehydrated, and below is a photo of the ones that rehydrated well.


I've left them in the kitchen for now to see if the fresh cut of the stem and dip into the Alum will help the stragglers. I've not, I'll toss them out, lesson learned.

Have you ever rehydrated your hydrangea?

4 comments:

  1. That is so interesting! I had no idea that there were special rules for hydrangea bouquets, but it explains a lot. Now I'll know what to do starting with getting some alum. (My dried hydrangeas have that shriveled look.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...I've never heard of alum. Now I have to look it up. I'm not lucky enough to have any blooms to cut yet, but if and when they decide to pop up, I'll be ready!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so clever!!! I am going to tell Amber about this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I obviously need to up my hydrangea game! If you could see my two pitchers of hydrangeas now . . .

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Weekend

  This lovely Calathea that I bought in Nashville last month is doing well in my living room. It does need to be repotted, and I think I'...