Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Christmas Gift Ideas - Post One


I thought that I would share a few posts with gift ideas in them.

My first suggestion, as always, is books.  We always give books as gifts along with some other items as well.  Have you seen this idea for picking gifts 

I like this guideline and today I am talking about the 'read' idea.

Specifically, I'd like to talk about a book series that is wonderful.  It is very inspiring and epic.  It's called 'The Green Ember,' by SD Smith. (the quotes are taken from the website)


"Heather and Picket are extraordinary rabbits with ordinary lives until calamitous events overtake them, spilling them into a cauldron of misadventures. They discover that their own story is bound up in the tumult threatening to overwhelm the wider world.
Kings fall and kingdoms totter. Tyrants ascend and terrors threaten. Betrayal beckons, and loyalty is a broken road with peril around every bend.


Where will Heather and Picket land? How will they make their stand?"


"The stage is set. It’s war. Morbin Blackhawk, slaver and tyrant, threatens to destroy the rabbit resistance forever. Heather and Picket are two young rabbits improbably thrust into pivotal roles.
The fragile alliance forged around the young heir seems certain to fail. Can Heather and Picket help rescue the cause from a certain, sudden defeat?"



"My place beside you
My blood for yours
Till the Green Ember rises
Or the end of the world."



We listened to these on our Audible app on our recent trip.  Everyone in our family LOVED them.  Audible is part of Amazon and for $14.95 a month you get a credit to buy an audio book.  I got Audible to buy things for Kyle to listen to when he goes to bed at night, and I bought The Green Ember after hearing about it through Sally Clarkson and Sarah Clarkson.  Kyle loved it so, I bought the sequel, Ember Falls, and the prequel, The Blackstar of Kingston.  

Audio books are a great option for kids who struggle with reading, or for trips, or for sick days.

We enjoyed all three, and are now hoping for a sequel to Ember Falls!  We highly recommend this book series!  We'd say its right up there with our beloved Chronicles of Narnia!

Kyle, even though he has listened to the books many times, has asked for the books for Christmas! 

Are there books you would recommend as gifts? Please share in the comments!


4 comments:

  1. I love to GIVE and RECEIVE a book! Love that guideline for gifts! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the four suggestions idea...

    And it is always great to hear about quality books and I am always hoping to find a good series for the grands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books are wonderful gifts. We shopped for our grandchildren's gift books last weekend. One about space, one for an early reader and one on trains for a little boy enamored with all things trains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love audio books too! We used to call them 'Books on Tape....' back when I was homeschooling Amber and Benjamin. Catherine Called Birdie was a favorite and The Face on the Milk Carton. There were others but I can't recall the name. When I was driving back and forth to Houston when Amber was pregnant with the quads, I listened to books.....and I chose them from the children's section at the library.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...