Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

What Winter Looks Like Outside The Cottage


We had a bit of snow last night.  Just enough to dust everything and keep the roads clear.  It is been very cold here.  It is still cold but it is going to be 35 today and that's a warm up!  However, the forecast is for more snow today.  I don't mind but I have people who must go out to work.  We pray and trust them to the Lord.


This tablecloth was so pretty during the Christmas holiday.  When I got home from Florida, I saw that it had become torn and wanted to throw it away.  There's a problem though.  Its frozen to the table and when I tried to pull it off it was stuck but tearing even more.  So its going to remain until I can take it off in one piece.  I may even try later today.



Let's not focus on the torn tablecloth though, okay?  Let's look at how lovely the snow is on those fir branches.  Yes, much nicer!

Onto prettier things now.  The woods along the edge of our property are so beautiful in the autumn but their barrenness in the winter is lovely, too.


Here is a view from the front steps of the cottage.


And a closer view to look at my hydrangea, and the spirea covered in snow.


The boxwood needs a big trim.  In fact, this whole front cottage style garden needs some work.  I just need to be bold and do what needs to be done in this space.

 I try to embrace the seasons as they come.  I don't want to always be looking to the next one while in the middle of the one I'm in.  That's true for life, too.  I try to embrace each phase of life I'm in.  Too many times, we are so busy looking backwards - longing for our kids childhoods,  or looking forwards - I can't wait until my kids are grown, that we miss what God has for us today.  

Winter will pass, spring will come as it does every year, to be followed by summer and then autumn.  Then we'll find ourselves saying "I can't wait for Christmas!"

Have a great day everyone!

9 comments:

  1. Wise words here today, Deanna. Yes, living for today. I love the Elisabeth Elliot quote, "Today is mine. Tomorrow is none of my business. If I peer anxiously into the fog of the future, I will strain my spiritual eyes so that I will not clearly see what is required of me now."

    Thank you for this reminder, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been home bound more this winter than in awhile due to extreme cold and snow. However, it is beautiful to look at... and I do enjoy cooking cold weather food. I have an appointment Thursday and Christopher's family will be in town on Friday and the roads are to be good both of those days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your winter is beautiful! It’s even winter in Texas! Some years we have totally missed extreme cold but not this year! 22 right now and the winds are howling. 12 is the low tonight. I’m still in bed covered up in quilts and blankets but I can still feel the cold coming through the window. In the summer I cover the girl bunk window with a piece of plywood under the denim curtain to keep out the heat. I may do that today to keep out the cold and keep IN what little heat we have from the small electric heater.
    I agree with you about being present and living in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. as to the 'frozen' tablecloth. if part of it is still intact,
    why not cut the largest part, sew the edges back twice, and
    use in a bread basket or small table covering. or, in a picnic
    basket. or on a serving tray - a silver serving tray!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cold here, too - like zero and below.
    NOT a good time for our furnace to die on us.
    New one to come tomorrow. Thankful for savings to cover costs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your snow photo's are pretty. Love the tablecloth. We may get less than 1/2 inch snow tomorrow but I kind of doubt it. It doesn't snow often in Central Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snow is on its way back to us again and even though it's not my favorite I am trying to find the joy in those kinds of days...because you are very right...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that picture of the plaid tablecloth, I didn't notice it was torn:) It looks SO pretty with the snow flocked centerpiece. We have snow here this morning and I am enjoying being inside:) Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...