Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Home Keeping: Living Room Rearrangement

 One thing our little cottage has always needed is a lot of seating. That is still true today. We practice hospitality on an ongoing basis, and even on a Sunday afternoon if Wes and Rachel are here for lunch, we need seats for 9 people. We also have the computer in the living room.

The reason for this rearrangement was to create a larger walk way between the living room and the kitchen table. So it occurred to me last week that if I switched the couch and the two Ikea chairs, the slimmer lines of the couch would make for a wider path, so to speak, between living room and kitchen.









There is a nice wide space in the middle of the living room. This makes for ease of movement in the room, places for grands to play. I could always put a coffee table in this room again, and I might! I want to live with it for a few weeks and see if that is needed. It would pull the arrangement together, I think, and provide places for coffee mugs, or feet! (grin)

This rearrangement took about five minutes. Easy Peasy, but gives a new look. Wes said on Sunday, "What's different? It looks more open in here." Simple changes sometimes make a big difference.

This is the only room I can do this in right now, but I love rearranging and repurposing furniture. Changing pieces from one space to the next. I've been doing it since I was a kid rearranging my bedroom furniture. My mom would say, "What are you doing in there?" I'd reply, "Moving my furniture around." She'd say, "Didn't you just do that?" Me, "About a month ago!" Sometimes I'd leave it longer, but I was a creative child. 

Do you rearrange furniture in your rooms?

6 comments:

  1. I am constantly moving furniture around in my house. My hubs laughs and says if he stays put to long I move him also. It is my way of not getting bored with the same ole same ole. I have a big family also so I always look at ways to make it better. My kids don't all live close by so when we get together for those rare times the sons all love sitting on the floor as do all the grands. So today in fact is a move around things kind of day since it is so cold out. I do like how yours looks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks great, so open, bright and sunny! I love moving furniture around. Unfortunately in this tiny house there aren't many options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Room to move is a good thing. Your new arrangement looks good. Everyone appreciates a change after a while. I used to change furniture around more often. These days, I don't always have the strength. Good thing you have lots of helpers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No I don't. :-) For one thing, in our home, there seems to be just one way for furniture, in each room, downstairs. And downstairs is where we live now.

    Also and more important, my mother moved all sorts of furniture, and ended up, having an (early at that time) upper back disc operation.

    Nope! Not me! No moving furniture about, for me.

    💗

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a "furniture mover" too lol. I was always moving things around in my bedroom growing up. Although now, at my age, things are becoming too heavy... especially the two secretaries, so everything sits here it is now. Small apartment anyway. I really like the way you arranged your livingroom, so much more open space! And what draws me in is the lovely yellow! I love me a yellow room! I'm curious to know if that interesting rug has a story. Blessings to you, Deanna!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love finding the best ways to set up a room, so yes, I am a furniture rearranger too! I love when you try something that makes a big difference, although I've moved everything back many times when my idea didn't work out. I love that you've landed on a way to create more space using the same pieces! That is a win in my book! Your room is charming and inviting!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...