Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Monday, September 25, 2023

Weekend

 


It was a crazy weekend. Rain, Rain, Rain. My dad got transferred to rehab center on Friday. We didn't get to pick it and we are not pleased with it. They are understaffed. A nurse or aide dropped my dad helping him into his chair! "I've got you" but she didn't. My dad is unhurt and he likes the staff. "They are working so hard," dad says. 

There was no therapy done over the weekend, which is to be expected, but he's spent three days there already and nothing has been accomplished except the nurse dropping him.

Today, we'll be making some phone calls and see if we can get him moved. Health wise he's good, just needs to strengthen his body after being in bed so long.

My niece Kaitlin came down from New York, and visited my dad and stayed with my mom. It was so nice to see her.

 I worked on a knit hat for one of my grands, and I watched a movie.

Our friends Mike and his son Daniel (Tim and Kyle's besties) came over on Saturday, and Mike and Tim worked on adding some outdoor faucets that Tim wanted to add. They are larger capacity so they move a lot of water. Tim often has to take water totes with him, up to 500 gallons at times, for inspections. These faucets will help with the amount of time it takes to fill the totes.

Here are a few photos of the new kitchen.

This first photo is looking from my parents living room doorway into the kitchen. The farmhouse sink will be under the windows, and the dishwasher on the left side of the sink, with a cabinet of drawers next to it. The upper will be a glass doors.

On the right side of the sink will be a drawer then cupboard with shelves that extend to the right for bigger items that we don't use a lot. The upper will be an open shelving cupboard that wraps around to the other window.

The stove will go between the windows, with a pot filler and a wood range hood. The counters will go to the window sills and the cabinets on either side will have pull out shelves. I'll also have a narrow cabinet for cookies sheets, cooling racks, and muffin tins on one side of the stove and on the other a pull out spice rack then another cupboard with pull out shelves. 

They framed up the opening between our current kitchen and the new one, but won't cut through until the dry wall is done at least. this is to keep the dust down in our side of the house. Where the pink insulation is was where my kitchen window was.


The drywall guy will be here this week. We need to order flooring, and the countertops. Mom needs to choose paint colors for her rooms. Our family will be doing the painting once the drywall is done!

The cabinets should be in by mid November, and our contractor says the addition will be done the week before Thanksgiving. Whew! Can't wait to cook in this new space!

Thank you all for your prayers for my dad. I could use some prayers for wisdom in helping my parents navigate this rehab situation. I must advocate for my dad today and want to do it with kindness but strength and firmness, too.

I hope your weekend was a good one, too!

5 comments:

  1. The addition is really coming along! I'm praying for your Dad and for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that you are not happy with the rehab facility where your dad was placed. We had a similar experience (NOT the dropping part!) with a facility and chose to bring my dad to my house because of it. Oh my . . . these things are so hard. I am praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deanna. I’m so sorry about your dads experience at rehab. The system can be so frustrating. Praying for him and your family. The addition has made good progress. Getting close. - Abby

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sad you have to stay on top, constantly, of the rehab situation. Both my parents died in hospital...so not much advice from me.
    The remodel will be lovely!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all the addition looks great! Yay! I'm glad to hear that's going well. As for your dad's situation, I'm so sorry. Even in the best facilities you need to be on top of the staff at all times and things can happen...but I would move him ASAP from a bad one. When my mom was sick we had to be very firm and it helps to have support from another family member. Sometimes you need to play the good cop/ bad cop roles to get what you need. Sugar and spice work well together! It was a long, often upsetting journey, with my mom and I don't wish it on anyone...not the patients going through it or the loved ones navigating, watching and worrying. Keeping you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Weekend

  We had a party weekend at our cottage! We have four immediate family birthdays in May, my Dad's was on Sunday. On Saturday however, Mo...