Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Saturday, December 16, 2017

Nativity



I have several Nativity sets.

My first one was a gift on my 21st birthday.  My family and friends went in together and bought me a Precious Moments nativity.  I still have it, though I don't often bring it out as I have limited space.

My next one was a bit more grown up.  Fancier and gilded, with wisemen, a camel, an oxen, sheep.  I used to put it up over the cupboard in my kitchen because I didn't want it to break.

You've seen my sweet handmade gift from Kayleigh (my daughter in law) and my Fisher Price one.  Both are hands on for my grands.

I have one more that my sweet friend Amy gave me.  It is a Willow Tree one. 

I'm loving this one as I feel like it is simple and humble.  Like Mary and Joseph and the shepherds. 


The simple people who trusted God's message to them, though it involved risk.  Jesus born in a stable, among animals, and filth.  Laid in a feed trough, wrapped in cloths.


Shepherds were lowly in social status.  They lived their lives among the animals they cared for and made a living from.  They were outdoors much of the time.




Can you imagine their wonder?  An angel, then a heaven host. "Glory to God in the Highest!"  




I love this nativity and the creche that Tim made for me. 

The little lights give little light at night, illuminating this simple, humble scene in our kitchen/living room space.  

This is certainly not how we would have chosen to send the saviour of the world, but God's ways are not our ways.  Jesus knew what it was like to be poor, from a obscure town, a hardworking man, from a humble family.

This saviour knows our need, only He could save.

11 comments:

  1. This is a lovely Nativity set. And your thoughts fit mostly beautifully along with your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure my other comment went through. It just kind of went POOF while writing.

    Just wanted to say I saw that Nativity at the store recently and thought it the perfect set. It is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I just love that one - my mother in law has the entire huge set with all the characters on a table - everyone always comments on it.

    That's one of the best ones. The only Willow Tree Christmas I have is an angel holding a wreath and I just love it. I have one holding a little teapot too but who knows where I stashed that. I am a disorganized stasher to be sure.

    My momma gave me my first Nativity years ago - all white - but it's been missing the last couple years. I'm missing a whole box of special Christmas things - I have a bad feeling it was accidentally donated. I can't think about it or I will cry, as my Mom has been gone for over 20 years. Sniff.

    The one I have now is lighted and it's so unique - I found it thrifting a few years ago. I will show it soon if I ever find the time to do a holiday home tour. I'm trying, haha. I really am trying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I have several also. My mom bought me a large one that I now I realize I didn't put out this year. I need to go find it pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nativity set helps to turn our thoughts towards The Reason we celebrate! This nativity from your friend is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your special nativity! Each piece is precious! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love your nativity! We have several that I keep on a low shelf in the foyer. The younger grands love to mix and match them all up so I have them where it’s easy for them to reach.
    Christmas is getting close!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love the Willow Tree set. As you said, simple in its beauty. Just like the story it tells.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. Wishes for a joyous Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a lovely post. All your Nativity sets are special for specific reasons. You have touched the heart of why this one blesses you so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet words. I used to have several but as the children have gotten married I have let them choose which one they'd like to take with them. I didn't put them all out this year. I just put out my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...