Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Monday, October 21, 2019

Home Keeping: Painting The Living Room, Kitchen, and Hallway


I brought up the idea of painting the living room, kitchen, and hallway months ago.  It really needed to be done.  There was some drywall repair that needed to happen also, and Nate volunteered to do that.  He's skilled in that area, and I appreciate his willingness to use his time off to do it.

Tim hates painting, so over the years, if I wanted a room painted, I did it all while he was at work.  This worked out best, because he and I work very differently, and I'm an optimist and he's not, so usually I just got the painting done while he was not home.

However, while I was visiting Emma in Tennessee, Tim started the project with some help.  Nate got the drywall repair (some seam work and some screws popping out), and Tim painted the ceiling.  Wes began cutting in the yellow paint, also.

When I came home, I had fresh ceilings, some cutting in work done, and everything from the walls and tops of the cabinets on the floor in my bedroom!

Saturday, we (Tim, Rachel, Kyle and I) got to work and finished the kitchen, living room, and one coat in the hallway.  Going over the green paint is going to take one more coat which Rachel and I will do today.  We would have got it all done, but we needed to stop for dinner and a planned evening watching Financial Peace University with the family. (more on that another day)










 I'm loving it all being refreshed, and the yellow hallway is great.  Can't wait to finish that.

This is the ceiling light fixture in the hallway.  It makes it dimmer that with just the bare bulbs, but the yellow in the hallway makes the space seamless with the living room/kitchen space, and it is much brighter overall.


Maybe the next time we need to paint, we'll just hire this work out.  Our crew here is nearly all grown with their own schedules, and Tim is busy with work, too.  I'm thinking it may be worth it, to pay to have it done.  Quicker too.  Its just way different for us, who've always done our own work, to think of having someone else do it for us.

So, what about you?  Do you like doing these projects?  As we move into our mid to late 50's I can see that these projects will more challenging to do on our own in the future.  What projects have you always done, that you pay someone else to do for you now?  I'd love to chat in the comments!

5 comments:

  1. I am 60 and always have done our painting , but we need living, dining , kitchen done , and I am thinking I need to hire it done now...about 5 times in the past couple of years while outside on the ladder , I have just stepped right off into mid air, then flat on my back in the yard, ( DAY DREAMING my favorite pastime while working ,but can't do 2 things at once anymore) Funny but may not end up a joke if I end up on a hard floor. My grandma did these work herself into her 80's ..so I just assumed I would too ...but I think it is wiser now to hire it done .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tackled updating the kitchen earlier this year (painting and adding wallpaper) when the temps were not that hot. Then I took a break during the summer months and I am hoping to finish painting the kitchen doors before the holidays. It is better to DIY when you still can, you save a lot of money. Thanks for sharing your proects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you’ve done beautiful work and it all looks fresh and nice. I would have to hire work done. It’s worth it to me at this point in my life. Not worth the pain and wear and tear on my old bod to go it alone. Now for the fun part of putting it all back together! 🍂🕰🍂

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband is a die hard DIYer. I have wrestled with him for years to hire things out and he does not. However, like you, as we head deeper into our 50's I think reality is going to force his hand one of these days. In the meantime, I think the paint looks great! Fresh, fun and fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally hired a painter to do my living and dining room. I had always done it before, and believe me we've moved a lot and I painted in all the places we moved. But once I could adjust to having to pay the bill, it was wonderful to have it done for me.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...