Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Monday, February 10, 2020

Thoughts On Aging


 A funny thing has happened.  I've gotten older!  I've been busy raising kids, and still am, but somewhere along the way I've gained weight, gotten some grey hair, and some age spots have joined my freckles.

I'm a grandmother of 7 - one of whom is in heaven, one is still in the womb, and five are growing up quickly.

How does this happen?  

James 4:14 says - Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow.  You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away.

At 56 I can see the truth of that verse in ways I couldn't when I was 26.  I think my mother in law at age 98 thinks her life has been just a vapor, too!

We're given a finite amount of time, and only God knows the length of that time.  (Psalm 139:16)  What I have tried to do for the last 40 years, is to not worry about my future, but to trust it to the ONE who holds it all in His hands.  This is not always easy. I'm a planner and a fixer and I like to help God out from time to time. (grin)

I'm trying to stay away from sugar and too many carbohydrates, I'm eating healthy fats.  I'm drinking more water. Trying to move more, which is a challenge with a soft tissue issue with my left knee.  I try to stretch each day.

I take good care of my skin, I always have, though I don't exfoliate as often as I should.  I use Lacura products which I buy at Aldi, but they are available on Amazon. You can click the source button under the photo for the link.



These are all physical things but I think the most important thing as I age is to keep a cheerful spirit.  To keep serving others, and trying to encourage others. It also helps to keep learning, and to spend time with people who are doing the same things.

That's the main reason I keep blogging and reading blogs.  You all are so interesting and I learn from you every week. We discuss ideas, recipes, projects, family, life. It keeps my brain young!

When I started blogging 13 years ago, Kyle wasn't two years old yet, and all my children still lived at home.  By September this year, Kyle will be 15 and the only kid living at home full time!

These last 13 years have been packed full of life, but they've flown by, and those years are gone like a vapor. Here one moment, and then it has dissipated.

In the Fellowship of the Ring, a conversation takes place between Frodo and Gandalf -

“I wish it need not have happened in my time,” said Frodo.
“So do I,” said Gandalf, “and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
J.R.R. Tolkien – The Fellowship of The Ring


I've loved this quote for many years because the truth of it reasonates with me. I do not know why things happen, or why I was born in these days, but God does, and truly all I have to do is decide what I am going to do with the time that God has given to me.

I'm a firm believer that He has created each one of us for His purposes, and has placed us in exactly the time period He wants us to be in the history of the world.  

I put both photos in this post, because they are both me.  This bottom one is grainier - taken in much lower light in the house verses the one taken in the van.  My hair is longer in this second photo, too. (I'm getting it cut tomorrow) 

However I look when you see me, I hope that you see a woman walking in grace, and extending grace to others.  I want you to see an encourager, a kind woman, a friend.  Not because I'm so wonderful, but because God has been graciously changing my life over the last 40 years.

I hope you see Him, when you see me.  If that happens then I'll be aging with grace, and what better way to age?



13 comments:

  1. Deanna, your posts always make me think...and oftentimes, I'm thinking the same things as you! Interesting and very true...and you look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading the intro into one of Edith Schaeffer's books when I was a young wife. She mentioned that she had just turned sixty and I thought that so old! Now at sixty-five, I wonder where those years went the very same way she was pondering the subject back then. Yes, I LOVE the friends I have met through blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see light and goodness when I look at you. Thankful that you are part of my days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a powerful post (and wonderfully said). I was just discussing something similar with my husband (we are 52 and 53 years old)...it all started-had to do with finding another hairdresser. My hairdresser of 7 years has been avoiding me, why? I just don't know. If I did something wrong, how can I fix it? Then, a series of events have led me to a 35 year old beauty salon here in town tomorrow that was recommended by our landlady. I am little hesitant trying something new. I am former breast cancer survivor and my hair is thin, never quite grew back the beautiful thick hair I once had. ANYWAYS--back to what you are saying...what a lovely poignant post speaking the truth. Oh my, has the good Lord worked on me for the past 22 years since I became a born again. Thank you. I hope you have a lovely week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a wonderful read. It is so true, all of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful post that shows a beautiful heart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely words, Deanna. Aging is a gift from God, I think, and when we embrace each stage of life, He gives us grace to persevere and opportunities to grow and to serve others. I'm 63 now, and wonder where the years went! I'm thankful for them all. Have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully said! You are just lovely, Deanna, and I truly can see a woman of virtue and grace when I look at you. I feel like it's so important to just try harder each day to be a better person than you were the day before. Pray always...and be kind. Thank you for this beautiful post, I needed to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post! I will be 66 on my next b'day. The years have truly flown by and yet I feel blessed to see each day. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Enjoy your evening dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots to ponder here . . .

    Indeed, the years go by so quickly. Day by day, one moment at a time, and then we realize that years have passed and we're in a totally different stage of life. Just like that. Oh, for the grace to be who He wants me to be at each and every age . . . to serve Him with all of my heart, not looking back with longing (only for learning), but content with my lot.

    Thanks for sharing your perspective and your hopes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are simply beautiful,full of God's grace.I have never met you,but it's very evident from this blog,which speaks of Love,service to others,and peace,bless you,Dawn E.Brown

    ReplyDelete
  12. Age is relative, sweetie! You're still young!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure if I've ever left a comment here, but after reading this I sure want to. You are a beautiful woman and you write beautifully. Your words here sure struck a chord for me. I'll be 61 in less than 2 months. I'll be thinking of your words as I turn a year older. ;^)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Things I Like

  Brenda from It's A Beautiful Life blog did a post with this title and I enjoyed her list so I thought I'd do something similar. He...