Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Treasure In Earthen Vessel

 






Sunday evening we were inviting to a campfire supper at the home of friends' from church.  It's an old farmhouse that they've been restoring for about 15 years, while living in it.  (When they first bought it, it didn't have running water, electricity, or a heat source)

On the property are some out buildings and in one is the husbands' wood shop.  I knew he did wood working of some sort but I didn't know what what kind of wood working.

Near the end of the evening my friend took us ladies into the house.  I love old farmhouses and this one is special.  It's not all up to date, her kitchen is a real old fashioned working kitchen. (she does not have a dishwasher)  Some of the furniture are found items, her fabulous sofa was a curbside find, in wonderful condition and in the style they love.

She also has these exquisite antique wood pieces, hutches in the dining room, a cabinet on cabinet in the living room and a grandfather clock, a half secretary.  They are gorgeous.

Partway through our conversation, I found out that her husband MADE the 'antiques!'  They are stunning reproductions.  He does this in in unassuming shop in one of the outbuildings on their acre of land.

I was floored, and then thrilled.  Isn't that just like God?  Here is an unassuming man, quiet, kind, down to earth and he was given an incredible gift.

I've been pondering 2 Corinthians 4:7 that says, "But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us."

We tend to think that the earthen vessels are of small value. They are the daily use kinds of things.  Yet God places the treasure of himself inside of  us, and his power is shown forth.

What a great reminder to me in these days about how God's ways are higher than mine.  He knows what he's doing, and we just need to trust him to use us so that he can been seen, and draw people to himself.

I hope one day to be able to take some photos of his craftsmanship.  You'd be swooning for sure, if you saw it.  It's made me smile when I think of it.  


4 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, Deanna. Beautifully written about the hidden treasure of earthen vessels. I look forward to those photos too -- I hope that works out for you to take some one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, please. Get their permission to show these treasured creations. I love Farmhouse Vernacular's (vlog) kitchen. I like old-fashioned kitchens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a thoughtful post.

    I do hope to see pics of this amazing place soon - sounds awesome.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that verse! It is amazing, isn't it, that our great and mighty God pours Himself into us, these fragile, simple earthen vessels!! I can not wrap my mind around it. Thank you for this beautiful object lesson today!

    (And, yes, I'd love to see those "antiques"!)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Things I Like

  Brenda from It's A Beautiful Life blog did a post with this title and I enjoyed her list so I thought I'd do something similar. He...