Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Friday Five (A Day Late)

I thought I'd do my 'Friday' Five on some of my favorite flowers in my garden.  I only have one small patch of mini daffodils, and one tiny patch of crocus in bloom, but I am dreaming of later spring and summer, when my garden is full of delights



1. Bleeding Heart






I adore this sweet flower in the garden.

2. Roses



I love the big old fashioned kind, or the small climbers or...well, I love roses!

3. Hydrangea

The last few winters have been hard on this beautiful bush, as the flowers bloom on old growth, and the old growth has suffered in the harsh winters.  This has made me branch out into other hydrangea varieties that grow on new growth, and are ever bearing.  This is one of my favorite flowers to cut and bring into the house.


4. Peonies

My love of peonies began 24 years ago when I moved to Pennsylvania.  I'm not sure I'd seen them before that, but I would see these glorious flowering bushes along the edges of farm fields, in gardens, along a fence line.  I had to have them in my own garden!  I just couldn't be without them.

5. Hollyhock

I don't always have hollyhock in my garden, but I love it.  I used to have beautiful pink and raspberry colored hollyhock then it stopped growing, so I sowed some seeds that produce this lovely black color.  Its unusual and I love it.

My lilacs have leaf buds on them, the trees are budding, but with this cold March and now wintery April, we'll see how things do this year.

Do you have flower gardens?  What are your favorite things to grow?

5 comments:

  1. So pretty!! I love hydrangeas too. We had several different kinds at The Farmhouse that we loved (especially the Limelight), so we planted a few here last summer. I can't wait to see what they do this year. I hope the winter has not been too hard on these new plants.

    I also love the bleeding heart, although I have never planted any myself. It is so delicate and pretty and it blooms in time for Bekah's birthday every year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful bouquet I could pick from your garden:) You have many flowers that I don't have but would love to have! I have lots of roses and hydrangeas! Enjoy your weekend dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have high hopes that our peonies will revive this year. So far the hydrangeas are looking healthy in spite of the freeze.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden dreaming is a positive thing! I have not allowed myself to think about gardens.
    If I were dreaming, I’d imagine hollyhocks along the fence where the Bolero lilies used to grow. (I ripped them up last summer.) Perhaps I should allow the plot to remain fallow because of those nasty beetles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Deanna, that #2 rose is so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Weekend

  This lovely Calathea that I bought in Nashville last month is doing well in my living room. It does need to be repotted, and I think I'...