Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Thursday, April 5, 2018

Home Keeping: Dreaming Of A New Bed



I've been lobbying for a new bed for several years.  Our current bed is a full size bed that we've had since before Rachel was born!  It fit perfectly in our old house, which had been built in the 1930's, with small bedrooms.  It was comfortable, and we loved it.

When we bought our cottage, the previous owners had added on an enormous master suite.  When we looked at this house, the owners had a huge king size bed, a huge wardrobe, dresser, couch and more in this room.

We have our full size bed in here and it looks so small in this space.  And its old.  We have been able to keep using this bed because we added a memory foam topper.  We are both beginning to feel stiff and sore in the mornings, and I think its time for a new bed.

I really like memory foam beds that I've slept on, and would like to do some kind of memory foam bed for us.  We also need a proper headboard and foundation.

I like these from Wayfair, and I think they are well priced.


Hyannis Queen Upholstered Platform Bed


Chesterwood Upholstered Platform Bed




I also would like new bedding.  I still haven't replaced by poor, beloved Waverly comforter set that wore out after 10 years of use.  We've loved the red and yellow/gold tones of the set, but can't find anything that we love in those same colors.

So I am thinking of going with white bedding, and then adding color in through a throw blanket, euro shams, and other accent pillows.  That way I could do navy and white in summer, I could do reds in winter, etc.

I'd be happy to hear your recommendations on beds, bedding, and mattresses.  Now, to set some funds aside for this change and convince Tim that it's time!

8 comments:

  1. I find the mattress (and pillow) market to be MOST confusing! (We, too, desperately need a new bed, but I'm putting it off because of the conflicting messages, multitude of options, and complexity of it all! Now I hear there are mattresses AND pillows that have copper in them which are supposed to be great for joint pain! There are sleep numbers and tilts, warm, vibrating, and on and on and on. And I haven't even begun to shudder about pricing! Let me know how YOU make YOUR decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story is my story. Exactly. We went for the king size bed and love it. I also love my white bedding. I add pops of color when I desire and it’s always so fresh! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our first bed that we had was an antique oak with a tall headboard. Love the bed and it is full size...it is in the guest room now as I love it so much and would only pass it down in the family. We have a queen now but the older I get, the more space I need to sleep more comfortably, so when we build the farmhouse, I am going for a KING size bed! Good luck with your search!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We need to replace our mattress soon too, but we keep putting it off - they're so expensive! I wish I could just make one, but Husband thinks I'm crazy. :) I've heard some good things about Tuft and Needle, Leesa, and Avocado Green mattresses. They each have a different feel though, so one (or none) might work for you. I think they have generous return policies as well. I do love white bedding - so easy to change out the color with a throw blanket or pillow if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I am pretty sure that I need a new bed, too, so I will watch and see what you folks decide.
    I will be sticking with a full. I have liked what I see with the Serta beds on QVC because of the
    convenience. They deliver, set up, and take away the old bed. All that sounds great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go with a king, even though it will seem huge to you after a full! With age comes the need for more space, and you won't regret it whichever one you decide to buy. We have a queen, and unfortunately our bedroom suite is no longer available so we can't get the king bed frame like ours. Have considered another, but none seem to exactly match our other pieces which are almost 20 years old but we love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have had our mattress for quite some time, but when we purchased it, a furniture store owner who was also a friend recommended that we get a good one and we have never regretted it. (Of course, I don't know what constitutes a "good one" these days. My friend helped us make the selection, but choices were fewer then.) We went from a full to a queen . . . also a good choice. In the past couple of years, I have had trouble with my shoulder, but a memory foam topper made a huge difference!

    I think the white comforter/quilt is a great idea! You'll have such flexibility with seasonal decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Check out Purple! They have a 100 night trial, and their customer service is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Things I Like

  Brenda from It's A Beautiful Life blog did a post with this title and I enjoyed her list so I thought I'd do something similar. He...