Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Rest In Peace

I came of age in the Reagan Era.  I found Nancy Reagan hard to relate to, but I really liked Barbara Bush.  She was the kind of woman that made you feel like you could be friends with her.  It would have been fun to be her friend, I think, as she was loving, kind, humorous, self depricating.

I've read both of her memoirs (really easy reading and so fascinating), and one story has always stayed with me.  Barbara used to drive across country from Texas to Connecticut, with her children, to visit her parents.  On one of her trips, their housekeeper, who was African American, was traveling with them.  Barbara stopped for the night at a hotel, but the hotel wouldn't allow the housekeeper to stay with them in the hotel, so Barbara wouldn't stay either.  They all slept in the car instead!


Image result for barbara bush



Image result for barbara bush


Image result for barbara bush


Image result for barbara bush


Image result for family photo of George HW Bush's family

Image result for four generations photo of bush women

 I loved her love and commitment to George, her family.  I like that she was always grateful to have had the opportunity to serve the country, and to continue to work to help people with literacy.


I found this lovely tribute to her online - 
Barbara Bush

My sympathies are with the Bush family.  They will miss her dearly.

6 comments:

  1. I admired her forthrightness. She had a mind of her own!
    From everything I've read or observed, I judge her to be a wise woman.
    Though of course I didn't really know her, I feel a loss...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful life, a beautiful lady! I loved her! HUGS and PRAYERS for all of that precious family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, she was a very lovely lady that left an impression on me. She will be missed. A Beautiful lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a beautiful tribute and I thank you for sharing it. What a lovely, lovely lady that will be greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful tribute. I'd love to check out her books...

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Things I Like

  Brenda from It's A Beautiful Life blog did a post with this title and I enjoyed her list so I thought I'd do something similar. He...