Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Teatime Tuesday, with Recipes but first a story

 We've become addicted to having a campfire in the evenings.  Last night we invited friends to come join us.  It is fun to just hang out with people you've known for a long time.  


While we were visiting by the fire the girls got the horses out to ride for a while. We had quite a scare when Liberty  bolted with Emily on her back - Emily is a very good rider but she bailed off into some bushes.  After chasing her down, Lindsay and Rachel were getting the saddles off etc, when Liberty bolted again and ended up across a busy road nearby.  She apparently went back and forth across this highway several times before she got tired and let Lindsay who was riding Sandy bareback catch her.  We are thankful that she was not hit by a vehicle!




Emily and I had a busy and fulfilling day.  She and I peeled lots of apples and made 2 quarts of sauce, and an English apple pie.  We have more apples to make sauce with as well.  I use Smokehouse apples and use very little sugar.  It is delicious!  Oh, and I also made Pumpkin Scones with maple butter! Yummy with tea! In fact all the recipes are delicious with tea!

My English Apple Pie Recipe is so easy:

4-5 apples (if using a traditional pie pan) 8-10 (for a 9x13)
cinnamon/sugar to pour onto the apples
1 stick of butter (softened)
1/2 cup of brown sugar (packed)
1 cup of flour
1 tsp cinnamon
3 Tblsp water
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (1 cup for a 9x13)


Peel apples into pan and pour the cinnamon/sugar over the apples evenly.


With a mixer cream butter and brown sugar until thoroughly mixed.  Add the flour, cinnamon, water and walnuts and mix.  Dollop the topping on the apples and back at 375 degrees on the lowest rack of your oven for 45-50 minutes.


You will love it!




Someone asked me for the recipe for Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie Crunch and here it is:


From the Gooseberry Patch cookbook Autumn in the Country (page 191)

15 oz can of pumpkin
12 oz can of evaporated milk
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups of sugar
4tsp pumpkin pie spice ( I use just cinnamon as I don't like cloves)
1/2 tsp salt
1 18 1/2 oz box of yellow cake mix
1 cup of pecans ( I used walnuts)
1 cup of butter (melted)


Combine the first 6 ingredients until well blended.  Pour into a greased 9x13 baking pan.  Sprinkle the dry cake mix evenly over the pumpkin mixture. Top with walnuts and drizzle evenly with butter.  Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes until the topping is golden.  Cool completely, cut into squares.  You can garnish with whipped cream!




Pumpkin Scones with Maple Butter (from the September/October 2009 Tea Time Magazine issue)

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups flour, divided
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
(I only used cinnamon, so I put 1 tsp of cinnamon in)
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter 
(I used salted and left out the 1/2 tsp of butter above)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup canned pumpkin

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment, set aside.
In a large bowl, sift together sugar, salt, 2 1/4 cups of flour, baking powder, and spices.  Use a pastry blender or fork to cut in the butter to the flour mixture until it is thoroughly incorporated.  Add the egg and pumpkin and stir until just combined.  Add additional flour, if necessary until mixture forms a loose dough.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and roll to 3/4 inch thickness.  Cut into 12 (2 1/4 inch) rounds.  Place on prepared baking sheet, and bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool slightly and serve warm with Maple Butter.

Maple Butter
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup maple syrup.  
In a mixing bowl cream butter and maple syrup together.

It is fantastic!

Now I am off to make a cuppa to start my day!

I am joining Sandi at Rose Chintz Cottage for Teatime Tuesday,

and I am Welcoming Autumn with Kathy at A Delightsome Life!



A Delightsome Life


12 comments:

  1. Yummy yummy yummy!! We have a wood pile all ready for a bon fire! Sounds like a good evening to do that...if it stops raining, that is!! Impromptu (and cheap) fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those all sound great and it also seems as if the English apple pie would be a great easy way to have the apple pie experience without all the headache. (Not that I don't just love making pies. =/ ) I've promised John an apple pie when he reaches goal; he has 2 pounds to go. Why do I have 55 pounds to go? What is wrong with this picture? Anyway, I may well go with that recipe!

    What a fright with the horse! The Lord really protected the horse and anyone on the highway and your daughter. ~Phew~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew!! That made me nervous just reading about the horse incident. Im glad everyone (including the horse) is ok! This summer we went to the creek and got enough rocks to build a fire pit. Im planning on putting my fall table cloth on the picnic table & inviting some family to have chili & roast hotdogs before long :) Have a GREAT day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to ask you what an English apple pie was so thanks for sharing the recipe. I like that you don't have to make a crust!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE recipes! Thank you for sharing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The English Apple pie was fabulous, the fire was beautiful and the "entertainment" was scary. Glad you have such levelheaded daughters!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Deanna,
    I'm glad neither your daughter nor the horse was injured! Scary! Bonfires are fun. My son and his family have a fire pit in their back yard which they use often.
    Yummy recipes! The Apple pie sounds especially good. Thank you for sharing this with us and enjoy your day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonfires are a great way to welcome fall. Firepits are becoming popular and a nice way to look up at the stars at night. So happy your horse calmed down to be brought back safe. I'm now following you and I found you at Kathy's..

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very glad everything turned out alright for your daughter and the horse and that you were able to enjoy and Autumn bonfire. ..,Also, the recipes are amazing!

    Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us.

    Happy Tuesday Tea day and have a marvelous week!

    Hugs from Wanda Lee

    ReplyDelete
  10. We made apple pies today! We had a large quantity of apples from the orchard. I've made apple sauce several times, but today the girls and I made apple pies and another apple recipe. Tomorrow I'm hoping to make apple butter (we'll see if I have enough energy for that!).

    Your English apple pie looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    I'm glad no one was hurt with your horse incident!

    Blessings,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello
    lovely recipes!!!! thanks for sharing
    regina
    reginassimplelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! I am so glad all are well! I am sure it was quite scary! Your recipes sound so delicious and perfect for Fall! Thank you for sharing with A Return to Loveliness,
    God Bless,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...