Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Friday, September 23, 2016

Hobbit Party


As all fans of The Lord of The Rings trilogy know, September 22nd is Bilbo and Frodo Baggins birthday.  Many celebrate with a party in their honor and so do we!

My daughter Lindsay and her husband Joseph are the hosts of this fun annual event.  This was the third year they've hosted.  The first year was planned as we drove home from Florida a few days before September 22, 2013.  That was before they were engaged even, but she wanted to host a party, and Joseph is happy to do the things that make her happy.  It was held at our home, and it was so much fun, they've made it an annual event, though now it is held at their home.  


Our adorable and delightful hosts.



A fun nod to Bilbo's 111st birthday 


 Getting everything set up 

 It was a beautiful evening

 Some of the people came in Middle Earth inspired clothing while others didn't





Two dragon cakes to remember Bilbo's adventure in his younger years with the dwarves, and a battle of wits with a dragon named Smaug.



The Hobbits would have enjoyed the food - turkey, ham, breads, cheeses, crackers, grapes, apples










These Elven cousins made an appearance 

Pretty candles for light

And of course the magnificent party tree!

It was a wonderful evening!

I love how my kids practice hospitality in their own ways, how they help each other.  Emma spent a good part of the day helping Lindsay get things ready (making cakes, etc) and then we came after our co-op was over and Rachel came after work.  We plated everything, made glazes for the cakes, sliced bread and cheese, washed dishes.  All of Lindsay and Joseph's guests had a great time, and we did, too.


Since hospitality is a big part of my family's life and especially in our homes, I decided to link this post to Thoughts of Home on Thursday.  Inviting people to your home is such a special way to share yourself with others.  Over the years of this, I've learned that people love to be invited as well!


9 comments:

  1. Yes, they are adorable hosts!! I love how you all pulled together to plan a delightful party! It is fun to see party-planning carried on to the next generation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catching up on your blog after being distracted with local events the past couple of days. Your kids do take after you in the hospitality area! It looks like a fun party and great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ten we sent over had a wonderful time, Deanna, and I always look forward to seeing the photos you post afterwards! It was special for Josie...her very first Hobbit party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How creative! Very "cool" that they're well on their way to creating some interesting/unique traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun, unique party! It must be very gratifying to know that the hospitality gene continues in your children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found this post. Loved the party and love the photos. What a splendid evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun party. I'd gotten out of entertaining after my neurosurgery four years ago. Had a small group over for dinner last week and realized how much I missed it. I may do few theme events. You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Things I Like

  Brenda from It's A Beautiful Life blog did a post with this title and I enjoyed her list so I thought I'd do something similar. He...