Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Wedding Planning: Cake



The cost of wedding cakes in our area is pricey.  When I was wedding planning with Lindsay 6 years ago, the average price per slice from bakeries in our area was $5.50-$6.00.  We had around 225 coming to the wedding and that would have cost $1,350 for cake.  That wasn't in the budget for cake, so we had a local baker (who charged less per slice) make a cutting cake, and the rest of the cake we served were sheet cakes from Costco.


Rachel likes the look of naked cakes, and she and Weston have decided that we can make them ourselves.  We tried it out on Saturday and they are right!  It's easy and tasty.

Also, there is family attending who are gluten free and dairy free, so we tried making one of these cakes with a gluten free cake mix from Aldi and we always make our own frosting, and for this one we made a dairy free version.  It turned out really good.


Naked cakes come in many different forms and I found these on Pinterest this morning.


Lemon Layer Cake with Fresh Berries | Free of gluten, dairy, and refined sugar



                                                                          source


50+ Warm and Eye-catching Fall Wedding Ideas You Can't Resist!





#ClippedOnIssuu from Magnolia Rouge Weddings Issue 12



We are leaning toward the first one.  Also we are going to do a cake for every table! So each table will have their own cake to cut!  Those with Gluten and Dairy issues will get a slice from the specially make cake!  

We will use the budgeted cake money on mixes and start baking the cakes.  We'll wrap them well and put them in the freezer.  Then the day before the wedding, we'll get them out and that evening after the rehearsal we have a team of assemblers!  They'll get wrapped well and be kept in a cool space until their needed the next day!

We have some family and friends from out of town who want to help so they are being recruited to help assemble cakes.  It'll be fun, and we'll learn a lot I'm sure.

We are under 100 days until the wedding now.  The days are going fast!


                                                   

6 comments:

  1. I think naked cakes are so pretty! (Bekah made one for her own birthday several years ago and it turned out beautifully.) They will be lovely at every table! Then they will also serve as the tables centerpieces? Genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun is this? I love the idea of a cake at every table! Y’all are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! So much nicer (and so much more delicious!) than all that frosting and all of the flowers made from frosting. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not heard of a naked cake, but what a lot od sense it makes to do your own. I think it will be a memory shared and much nicer than a bought one

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cakes are! I have a recipe that uses a boxed mix with other ingredients mixed in to make it a delicious white or chocolate cake. The first cake is so beautiful, and with the fruit and cream, who could resist!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure it's because I live under a rock when it comes to weddings, or really anything where cakes are involved, but I'm going to confess... I've never heard of naked cakes, but seeing these pictures I think I prefer them to all the sugary sweet frosted ones. They are beautiful. I've gotta try my hand at this! I love the idea of a cake on each table. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

This And That

  Marketplace has been good to me once again! I found this darling loveseat for $40! It's clean with no stains. The cushion covers come ...