Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Update On The Addition

 Two different views of the new basement. 

This view is from our current kitchen door. Where the pipe leaves the current house is where the laundry room/mudroom will be. Next to it will be their bathroom, and then a small den for Dad to watch tv.

This second view shows the space under the kitchen, their living room, and under their bedroom. This photo was taken from the sliding door that used to go to the deck, and you can actually see two boards from the deck still attached to the house.


The excavator will come back today and dig the foundation of the garage, and then footers will be poured there too.

Lumber is being delivered on Friday, and the framers start on Monday. It's going fast now. Once the addition is framed and under roof, they will pour the cement floors in the basement and garage.

As a reminder, here is the blueprint.


I am designing the kitchen space.



As you can see, I like a combination of an unfitted kitchen and some fitted cabinets. I found this picture on Pinterest and was able to show Tim what I was thinking for the kitchen.


I want to have this be in the space just inside the kitchen from my parents living room. A place to put the coffee making supplies and the electric kettle for tea. The mugs, cups, tea tins, coffee will be in the upper cabinet, and the lower would be storage for bigger items in the kitchen. Just an idea I have. 

I'd also love to find a work table, rather than an island for the kitchen. 

I also am beginning to think about how the garden space in the front of the house. This photo from last autumn shows how the cottage looked before the addition.

Now the lamppost must move, and if we keep the picket fencing that will need to move further out from the house. We'd like to make a patio space out here, but not loose the charm of the cottage garden. 

The other spaces will be my mom's to plan and decorate and of course, I'll help if she wants. 

Our lives are truly multigenerational. While this is happening here for my parents, tomorrow our 'baby' turns 18! I need to get busy with some of his favorite cupcakes. 





2 comments:

  1. It is all absolutely AMAZING!!! Love your multigenerational lifestyle!!! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's amazing progress and your inspiration kitchens are amazing!! I just know whatever you do will be beautiful. I can't wait to see it all come together!! Happy Birthday to your baby...it goes to fast, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Weekend

  We had a party weekend at our cottage! We have four immediate family birthdays in May, my Dad's was on Sunday. On Saturday however, Mo...