Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Monday, February 4, 2008

Quiet Time


As I have been talking with mommy friends and reading blogs I have come across a similar theme lately.

Guilt brought on by a lack of "Quiet Time."

I can relate to that, after all with 6 kids it is never quiet here! I have in the past woken up early in the morning for quiet time, and then gone back to sleep for awhile. I have tried to do it when my kids went to bed. This works fine until you have teenagers, they never go to bed!!! Well they do, but usually at the same time my husband and I do. And evening time is when they want to come to you and talk, and I make it a point to be available to them.

I have come to the conclusion, that God knows all about the life stage I am in. One day, when I don't have little ones in the home, I can take hours everyday to study the word, pray without interruptions etc....

But during this season of life, I believe that God is so pleased with my mind being on Him and my talking with Him as I go about my day. I believe that the verses He brings my way, through a sermon or a friend, are the ones He wants me to take to heart. So I print them out and hang them on my fridge where I can see them all day long. They challenge me, He challenges me through His words on my fridge. He is pleased that I am teaching my children and pointing them to Him, day by day, that I am being kind to my neighbor and taking a meal to someone in need. These things please Him, and in doing them I please Him.

As I read my bible, I don't see anyone having "quiet time" except Jesus when He went off alone to pray. I do see David thinking of the Lord "through the night watches", and Psalms of praise being sung, and believers meeting together...

I am not saying that daily bible study is not important. It is. I feel so fortunate that I was able to spend 2 years at a Bible college, just studying the Word. I love to do Beth Moore studies, I love my Oswald Chambers Study Bible. I just want to encourage those friends who are struggling with feeling that they are not "good" followers of Christ, to look to Jesus, THE source. He will show you what He wants for and from you.

And that is all that matters!

6 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more! When my 4 were little I thought I was such a failure at this. Guilt!!

    But the Lord knows the season of life you are in. I shared this exact message with a gal who had commented on my blog once. She still comments sometimes and I pray for her.

    Then with the teens?? Well!

    Is there a place you can go that the kids know that when mommy is there she is talking to God???

    Have you heard the story about Susanna Wesley?? She would sit down and throw her apron over her head and her kids knew she was talking to God!! Maybe you need an apron!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I am at the wonderful stage of having older and younger children. The older ones, can and do watch the younger ones, so that I can have time.

    I just have to watch how often I do this, time to read the Word, time to exercise, time to get groceries.....

    I just really wanted to encourage those who struggle with feeling like a failure. Find was to be with God all through the day! You will be amazed at how the Lord will meet you where you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Auntie Dee! I love this post because I think so often people feel like if they arent doing "Quiet time" then they arent walking with the Lord or whatever. I like this post, because God truly does know our hearts and we can spend time with him as we are traveling from one place to the next or shopping in the grocery store! We are serving the Lord by serving our families. Of course I am not saying quiet time isnt important either but I am with you in that God is with us all day and we can spend time with Him in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Rabe,

    I loved this post. It really resonated with me today. As the mom of an 18-month-old little girl, I don't have the time that I used to sit and pour over the Word with studies and journaling; however, my conversations with the Lord go on throughout the day and those never cease - no matter what stage of life you're in. Thank you for this important message. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you put the scripture on the fridge. It sends a message to all of the children, as well, that Mommy cares about God's Word and they are able to see it too.
    Love it!
    Becky K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your conclusion about "Quiet Times." Focusing our attention on what the Lord desires from us each moment of the day is an act of worship and praise. I listen to Christian radio and music - always trying to have an atmosphere in my home that the Heavenly Father would be pleased with - I think that we all do that - my Mom is in a different season so when she shares something with me that she is learning... I benefit. There are so many times throughout the day that I speak to the Lord and I know that He hears me and I hear Him. Thanks Deanna for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...