Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sarah Learns To Sew

 Parenting is hard work sometimes...it is being faithful to your children when you'd rather read a book, or blog, or any number of things.  It is loving them enough to help them to see their hearts and what it at the root of their discontent or their choices.  We have been going through a season with a few of the younger members of our family.  They are in prime training years, so I am not surprised but I am lazy all too often and I want my life to be easy, and not have to deal with bickering children.

That is why days like yesterday are such a joy, I got to have fun with my young daughter!  Sarah is learning to sew and used the machine for the first time yesterday! 


She was so pleased with herself and kept saying "I cannot believe I am doing this!"  You have to know her to fully understand it, but she is a bit OCD (my diagnosis) and she is a perfectionist.  She wants to learn things but wants to be able to do it perfectly the first time! This leads to frustration with educational things as well as things like sewing.  

She did really well yesterday - She is helping me make a doll outfit.  It has a top and a skirt - I made the top and she is helping with the skirt.  Rachel is making an outfit too, but she has had some sewing machine experience!  I tell you what - if you can sew these tiny little outfits you can learn to sew your own clothes!  They are just as detailed as people clothes!

I love for my children to be busy during the day with real things, and learning to sew is perfect for this.  I think it also allows for character training; patience, diligence, not getting angry...

I'll be sure to show you the outfits when they are done!
 
Linking to Trish at Lily-Rose Cottage for L.A.C.E.
and Raising Homemakers.

12 comments:

  1. Go Sarah!

    I loved it when Chelsea was sewing for a bit. She no longer does it but that is likely because I don't model it. I don't enjoy sewing.

    Keeping our children challenged and working toward goals is one of our responsibilities as parents. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. T remember teaching my daughter Sarah many years ago although it did not go quite so smoothly. She now has her own internet business making cloth dolls and clothing for them.
    http://bitofwhimsydolls.com/
    She loves what she does and make good money with her web. You never can tell what kind of influence you can exert on your children and how they will use it in the future. I would never have figured my Sarah would have taken her sewing lessons and used it as the basis for her business.
    Johnina

    ReplyDelete
  3. The doll outfit turned out so cute! Sarah you did a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, little lady! How wonderful to pass on such an important home-making skill to your children! I come across so many young women and children today who never invested in learning these skills. I am so thankful that my mom taught me how to sew and love home-making arts and crafts. Not a day goes by that I do not call upon these skills in some way - especially in my profession as an enrichment artist. Joy to you as you are faithful to raise daughters equipped to be ladies!

    Miss Kathy at The Writer's Reverie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay Sarah! I'd love to see the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know what I love about this? You have caught Sarah while she is truly interested in sewing. If you had started any earlier or any later, it might not have gone so well. I hope that she will take to it and have a lot of fun through the years sewing. I, too, am a perfectionist and I quit very early on only to come back to sewing in my great old age. ;>

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tell Sarah keep up the good work! looking fwd to seeing the outfits

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tell Sarah keep up the good work! looking fwd to seeing the outfits

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful - Well done Sarah!!
    And good on you Mum, for passing on such a valuable lesson to your daughter!
    It will surely stand her in good stead throughout her life, and she will treasure the times you've spent teaching her to sew.
    Thank you for linking to LACE my friend :-)
    blessings..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could sew...I can't even sew a button on something...but amazingly my oldest can sew, craft and create. love the pic of your dgt at the machine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sarah,
    It's so special when you can pass skills on to the young ones.
    This is one of my favourite things things to do -- I tend to drive by grandchildren crazy with my ideas for crafty things to do ----BUT-my 20yro granddaughter was thrilled when she was able to follow the pattern and make herself an evening dress for her year 12 formal.... How good is that!!!!!
    God Bless
    Barb from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a blessing! I am hoping to do some sewing this week.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Things I Like

  Brenda from It's A Beautiful Life blog did a post with this title and I enjoyed her list so I thought I'd do something similar. He...