Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Blog Friends, Community, and Scandalous Scones


Last week I had a message from a sweet blog friend, who hadn't been blogging much for several years due to serious health issues.  She wanted to chat about things that we've both written about on our blogs - mentoring young women, encouraging homeschooling moms, our hearts for our homes.  We decided we wanted to not message back and forth, so we had a phone call on Thursday evening!  It was the best!  We plan to do it more often!  After we'd agreed to the call, I was a bit nervous, just like I've been when I've met other blog friends.  "What if their disappointed after meeting me?" "What if they are not anything like who I've thought they were?"  You know we all have these expectations of each other!  

Do you know Julianne from Life at Providence Lodge?  I am so happy to say she is truly who I thought she'd be - kind, gentle, heart for mothers and women in general.  

We spoke about our kids, things we've learned being parents of married adult children while still having younger kids at home.  I've got some good ideas for blog posts from our three hour conversation!  It didn't feel that long, and we hung up with a desire to talk again, and the sense that you are now "real life" friends and not just blog acquaintances!

One of the things we talked about was community - our need to have kindred spirits in our lives, and how so many of us have found them through blogging.

I'm thankful for those I have in my 'real life' too, that I get to spend time with at our co-op on Thursdays.  Great young women who are home educating their children, often without the acceptance or approval of family and friends.  These women are working hard to educate their kids, and to make a loving homelife, be good wives, and sometimes to be the only parent in their children's daily lives.

I love these women, and am thankful that they don't think I'm a fossil just because some of them are my older kids ages!  

One of the things Julianne and I spoke about was Trim Healthy Mama and for her being gluten free, and dealing with other food allergies.

She loves to have tea time with her kids every afternoon and really missed being able to have scones!  I told her I post this recipe, and when I went to the website the server is down!  I never printed the recipe because I just would go to the website and make the recipe from there, but I did google the recipe by name and I found someone who shared the recipe.

I hope this is exact.


Grain-free scones made using almond flour. Yummy and low carb!
                                                www.thebantingblondes.com



Scandalous Scones

2 cups of almond flour

2 eggs

1 rounded tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

2 Tblsp Oil (I use coconut oil)

***I add 3/4 xylitol***


Now notice they don't have any sweetener listed and the recipe from the original website didn't have any sweetener either.

When I made them the first time I put too little sweetener in (I like to use xylitol), but found that with the cream and the curd they were fine.

Then one day when I was making them, I realized that when I make cookies or scones with the same amount of regular flour, I put in way more sugar, so I decided to add more sweetener and they were just right to me!  I added about 3/4 of a cup of xylitol.  

I don't feel deprived when I eat these scones!

I think this recipe without the sweetener could be made into a savory scone with the addition of herbs and cheese.  Yum!

Have a lovely weekend friends!

9 comments:

  1. I love to read your blog every morning with my Trimmy! I've been doing THM for 5 years now. Overall, it's a very sustainable lifestyle. Sometimes takes planning and effort, especially if you have to prepare different food for others. I too have married children and children still at home. I'd love to hear more about what you've learned! I've missed Julianne's posts. Sorry to hear about health issues for them. You both have felt like kindred spirits! Thanks for your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely description of your heart and phone visit with your blogging friend. Life all the sweeter for blog friends who truly are kindred spirits in real life.

    The scones look scandalous indeed. Yum!

    Wishing you a beautiful day, Deanna.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. How good to connect with your friend in a meaningful way! Three hours? Fun. 😉 And now she has the scone recipe that you wanted to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, thank you so much, Deanna! I can't wait to try these! You are such a dear sweet friend across the miles! Bless you❤

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had similar experiences:) I LOVE my blog friends and I love them even more when I can give them a hug! Enjoy your day dear friend, save me a scone:) HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad it went well! That's a yummy photo of the scone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I am glad they don't think you are a relic either. Community means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your recipe looks great. I had the opportunity to meet one of my blog friends when I was in Australia, and what a treat it was. We had a wonderful lunch and spent time window shopping in her town. It was one of the high points of my visit to Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Friends are a blessing and like you, I have made so many through blogging. Some I have met in person, others I have chatted with on the phone and shared emails and cards and gifts with even more. I am so grateful for all of the connections.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...