Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Thursday, October 25, 2018

Glorious Autumn






No melancholy days are these!
     Not where the maple changing stands,
Not in the shade of fluttering oaks,
            Nor in the bands

Of twisting vines and sturdy shrubs,
     Scarlet and yellow, green and brown,
Falling, or swinging on their stalks,
            Is Sorrow’s crown.

The sparkling fields of dewy grass,
     Woodpaths and roadsides decked with flowers,
Starred asters and the goldenrod,
            Date Autumn’s hours.

The shining banks of snowy clouds,
     Steadfast in the aerial blue,
The silent, shimmering, silver sea,
            To Joy are true.

My spirit in this happy air
     Can thus embrace the dying year,
And with it wrap me in a shroud
            As bright and clear!

- Autumn 
by Elizabeth Drew Stoddard


7 comments:

  1. “...Can thus embrace the dying year.” Evocative or what?! I have never read this poem (that I remember). Thank you for the beautiful picture and the poetry today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Deanna! I love autumn! There is a crispness in the air that is really invigorating, and it's cool enough to do lots of cooking and baking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely poem, my autumn-friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I SO enjoy these Autumn days:) Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...