Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Monday, November 8, 2021

Weekend

 We started our weekend with Family Game Night. My parents have been sick (they are much better cold wise, but feel very tired and weak), so they stayed in their rooms, Wes and Rachel were here, and so were Klaire and Kamryn.

We made sub sandwiches, and then just hung out. The kids played Minecraft together.

Saturday was a puttering at home day for me. Wiping down kitchen cabinets, and the fronts of my appliances, vacuuming, folding clothes. 

Tim and Kyle mowed the yard of an elderly couple we know. They've done it for several years now, spring through autumn. Then Tim chopped wood, they air up tires on our vehicles. 

After church on Sunday, we came home to eat left overs, and then Tim mentioned going on a drive over to our local state park. It has a beautiful overlook to the Susquehanna River, and we hadn't been there for a few years.



If you look closely, there is a bridge spanning the river and just beyond a dam. There is a hydro-electric plant nearby as well.



The weather was beautiful. Not cold at all. Sunny, with bright, blue skies.





Klaire wanted to try walking on the rails, and so Tim walked beside her. She has remarkable balance. She did it over and over.




There is a playground back near the entrance to the park, and we spent some time there before we left.


Tim had made hot chocolate and brought it along for us all to drink. That was fun. Fresh air, and no coats in November! We came home and relaxed the rest of the day. 

My preparations for Thanksgiving are in full swing! We are having 31 people, as we just found out my niece and her husband will be joining us, too. I need some tablecloths, which I'll buy on ebay or amazon. I'll be using my silver candelabras and some other candles. I want to get some flowers for low arrangements on the table. I think we may string some lights also. 

I have two 22lb plus turkeys that I'll be slow roasting overnight, and I'll be doing stuffing and gravy, as well.  Everyone is bringing something for the meal and I think it's going to be wonderful. 

On another note, today is Tim's dad's birthday, and my granddad's birthday. They were born in the same year and would be 103 if they were living. My grandparents and Tim's parents were the same ages. My grandparents married in their 20's and had one child, who married young. Tim's parents married in their 30's and had 6 children. Tim is the youngest. My granddad died when I was young and Tim's dad died right after he graduated from high school. I never met him.

The overlapping of generations has happened a lot in our families. My mom's aunt is only three years older than her, and they are more like sisters. She's my great aunt, but her kids overlap into my age range. Tim's niece and I were pregnant at the same time - Kyle (her first cousin) is 6 months older than her first child, also a boy.

Frankly, I love it. 

I hope you all had an excellent weekend. I'd love to hear about it in the comments!


5 comments:

  1. Hope your parents are better soon.

    I doubt you run for a China/covid test, at any sign of a cold. We have to here. Well, we want to, since it's best to know.

    And hope all are fine,by Thanksgiving!

    We are all gathering, unless the younger kids are sick. They all, beside us, will be gathering. lol

    🍂 🍁 🍂 🍁 🍂

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely beautiful area in which you live, friend.
    glorious autumn.. and park.. and sweet grand daughter
    with the amazing balance.. no way i'd attempt. ha!
    sounds like your thanksgiving celebration will be one
    for the memory books. it's a good thing you're "just"
    making a couple turkeys, gravy, stuffing.. big job
    in and of itself. if we lived near we'd barge in and
    join the party - with oodles of additional dishes in hand.
    hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place to spend time! Thanksgiving with lots of people is just what you enjoy. Sorry that your parents are feeling puny, and glad that they are feeling better. Rest, rest, and more rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We spent a lot of the weekend outside, since it was so nice. We're trying to soak in as much of the warm weather before the big chill sets in. And today is my dad's birthday, too. He would've been 96! Hope your parents feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your mom and dad are feeling much better by now. Such a blessing that you are there to keep an eye on them. Your Thanksgiving sounds lovely! There's a lot of overlapping of generations in our family too!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

  I'm hurrying this morning to get this post done, as I am off to tea soon! Mom, my friend Jennifer, and I are going to our favorite tea...