Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Essential Oils: Do You Use Them?


I do use them. 

Some.  

Mostly as scent for the house, either in with our Murphy's Oil soap for the wood floors, or being diffused.  For the floors the oil we use depends on the season.  In the winter we really like Peppermint and also Orange.  In spring or summer we like Lemon, or if we are fighting fleas (like we did last summer) we used Peppermint again.  Sometimes we use lemon and lavender together, that's really nice.

I don't ingest oils.  I've read too many conflicting things.  I do however use a few of them on the body, but always with a carrier oil.

We have had good success with using Eucalyptus oil with coconut oil on the bottoms of our feet when we had bad coughs and couldn't sleep.  It is sort of like Vick's.

We also have had good success with a mix of oils as a topical pain reliever.  We use equal parts of Almond oil, Peppermint oil, and Clove oil.  I've used it for some joint pain I've had in my thumb joint, my mom uses it for various things, my son Nate has used it on his back.  My friend Jennifer (who has RA) told me about it, thinking it may help Nate's back, and it has.  She uses it on her knees sometimes.  This mixture does not cure the underlying issues but it does help with pain, which is very beneficial when you're hurting!

 Start with a bottle of some sort.  A dark color bottle help keep the oils from going bad,  Also keep them out of direct sunlight.

 Use equal parts of these oils and

 a carrier oil.  For this mixture I use the sweet almond oil.

 Add your oils

and Voila!  You have a useable oil mixture for topical pain relief.

Remember, this is for topical use only.

Do you use essential oils?  Do you have a favorite?

I have a Pinterest page for Essential Oils.  I like to read about them and their uses.  I have been reading about the medieval time period and they used tea tree oil in the 14th century.  And during the second go round of the Bubonic Plague, there were thieves who used a blend of oils to break into and rob homes of people who had the plague, and yet they didn't catch it at all.  'Thieves' is a very popular blend of oils that people still use during cold and flu season.

Of course, I am not claiming to be an expert in EO nor do I claim that they will work for you.  I am not a seller of oils, either.  I just like to talk about interesting things.  So let's talk!

10 comments:

  1. I've never used essential oils on my skin or as medicinal remedies. I have used mint in a room spray that I like. I'd like to learn how to use them a little. They sound intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have very limited experience with essential oils. We have used clove oil for dental pain and I believe I once had some lavender oil for scent. I am a little wary of their extreme popularity right now (I know. I am a cynic.), but I am always slow to jump on a bandwagon. (Well, I am just slow. Period.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have lots of friends who use them. I'm like Cheryl and go more cautiously especially when treating oneself medically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so nice to come to a blog that isn't selling anything! So many these days are merely vehicles for monetary gain. Many of the blogs that tout essential oil usage are, of course, selling one of the major brands, too. If anyone is interested in essential oils, there are how to books and oils of all brands for sale on Amazon. I've used lavender and lemongrass together in a carrier oil like Almond Oil for after bath/shower all over my legs and arms, neck and chest - where I get the most dry skin. It smells wonderful and is better than buying commercial mixtures that have stabilizers and preservatives, artificial colors, etc. in them. Thanks for your Pinterest site - I'm there now pinning and clicking away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, we have used essential oils for years. Today, for example, a grand arrived saying that his ear felt a little funny. He was congested and getting over a cold. This is the grand I took to the doctor last year. When the doctor asked him what the problem was, he responded, "Ear infection; right ear." The doctor confirmed. So, anyway, I suggested that we try a medicine. Grand was wary. I said, "You won't have to swallow it and we won't put it in your ear." Great. I mixed a drop of Thieves and a drop of lavender with a bit of coconut oil. He applied it himself...behind his ear and in front of his ear and on his throat and on his chest. I did the same as did John. We took a second treatment after lunch. ; > I could tell a marked difference in my grand by this afternoon. Just from my experience, I know that Thieves is curative for colds and flu. Pain in itself can kill so pain relief is also important. I do not enjoy reading the whoooo oooh new agey stuff at some of the sites that sell essential oils, but I do know that all healing comes from God and there is ancient wisdom. With our own healthcare system in shambles, I think that people are going to have to get educated. I have lived with Rheumatoid Arthritis for years without resorting to the vile drugs the medical community would have put me on. I am particularly wary of them having seen what they did to my mother. Everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another. Sniffing, merely sniffing, lavender essential oil at bedtime allows me a restful night's sleep. That's our story and I'm sure I've hogged way too much space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try the doterra oils, they are amazing and the Frankincene with no carrier oils needed, it works on so many areas of mind, body and soul being. It helps and cures my issues with pressure and vertigo issues, it's an amazing pure quality oil, not cheap but amazing aon removing scares, cuts, ageing spots, hearing issues, inflammation from auto immune diseases, amazing. I use oils. So does a few of my doctors who I see often in our local natural health store.

      Xx
      Dore

      Doterra oils

      Delete
  6. Vee above has mentioned Thieves to me before but it is an unknown mixture to me. I will use a hand cream at night infused with lavender and dab a bit on my temples but for the most part I use the oils to scent my potpourri.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try the doterra oils, they are amazing and the Frankincene with no carrier oils needed, it works on so many areas of mind, body and soul being. It helps and cures my issues with pressure and vertigo issues, it's an amazing pure quality oil, not cheap but amazing aon removing scares, cuts, ageing spots, hearing issues, inflammation from auto immune diseases, amazing. I use oils. So does a few of my doctors who I see often in our local natural health store.

    Xx
    Dore

    Doterra oils

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed, we use essential oils too! One of my favorite is lavender,! tea tree oil is used for medicinal purposes! Thanks for sharing this information!
    Enjoy your week,
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm in the early stages of learning about essential oils for healing..

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...