Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Baked Oatmeal

My husband is a baked oatmeal fan.

Loves it - orders it when we go out to breakfast.

It took me years before I realized I could make it for him at home. I'm sometimes slow that way.

I found this recipe on line and it is a good one!

3 cups rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a large bowl mix together the first 5 ingredients.  Add the milk, eggs melted butter and vanilla and stir well.  Stir in the cranberries.  

Now I usually don't have cranberries, so I use raisins.  And I add walnuts.  You can get a little bit creative here, use what you like.

Pop it into the oven for 40 minutes.

Serve warm with milk. 

I want you to know that I score points with my husband when I make this because he knows he is loved and was thought of!

He also loves peanut butter so I am going to have to come up with a recipe for peanut butter baked oatmeal.  I am sure it's out there somewhere!


5 comments:

  1. Just add peanut butter chips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one from a blog I subscribe to looks very similar to the one you already use:

    http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/2009/05/peanut-butter-baked-oatmeal.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at this recipe! You could make this with your oatmeal!!!
    http://cookingwithcarrie.blogspot.com/2011/02/chocolate-peanut-butter-parfait.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deanna! Thanks for this recipe - I just played around with it and made it gluten and dairy free - plus other healthier substitutes. I'll have to try it out and see what turns up. Maybe a post - but it just doesn't feel like oatmeal weather, ya know? Maybe this fall . . .
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made one of your baked oatmeal recipes at Christmastime. It was when my oven was acting up so half of it was burned and half of it wasn't done. We all gravitated to the crunchy side thinking it tasted like granola. I'm thinking I need to try this again with the new oven.

    Of course, your hubby loves this and feels loved. Of course!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Weekend

  This lovely Calathea that I bought in Nashville last month is doing well in my living room. It does need to be repotted, and I think I'...