Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Saturday, February 12, 2011

This and That

Lindsay and I have been watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  I haven't seen the movies in years, but am enjoying getting to know the characters again.

I like this speech of Sam's from The Two Towers


Sam: It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant something even if you were too small to understand why. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand, I know now folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?

Sam: That there's some good in the world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for.

Samwise Gamgee is one of my favorite characters in the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy.  He is loyal to Frodo, and having been his gardener in the Shire, he is determined to serve him and to help him on his quest to take the ring to Mordor and to destroy it.  When we read it or watch it we recognize that Frodo cannot do it with out Sam.  Frodo knows it, too.  The only one who doesn't seem to realize it is Sam himself.

I would like to be the kind of encourager and helper that Sam is.

Those who have been sick in our home I believe are on the mend.  Sarah is feeling much better today and Emily is now bored - a sure sign she is feeling better!  She has just taken Kyle and Kamryn on a walk.

Tim and Rachel are running errands, Lindsay is running our friends' store, I have bread rising, and I need to do some cleaning in the kitchen.

Kyle has decided on blue for his wall color - it is his current favorite color, so now I just need to find the right blue for his small room.  Lindsay and Emily need to find a color for their room too.  It seems as if many of our rooms need a paint refresher, including mine.  I am thinking that these few weeks left before Spring arrives is the perfect time to paint.  Once spring comes we will be much busier with outside work.
Have a wonderful day.
 

2 comments:

  1. So glad your family is on the mend. Samwise is probably my favorite character in Lord of the Rings...I just love his devotion and integrity.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading this series with Nicholas this year. We have completed The Hobbit and are almost through The Fellowship of the Ring. I, too, saw the movies years ago, but look forward to seeing them again, when we conclude the reading of the series, for than maybe I will enjoy the movies more, as I didn't get much out of them the first time around. Samwise Gamgee is one of my favorite characters as well. I feel like I can relate to him in many ways.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...