Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Monday, February 21, 2011

Work For Each Day

www.allposters.com

In the "Little House on the Prairie" books Ma had work that was specific to each day.

“Wash on Monday,
Iron on Tuesday,
Mend on Wednesday,
Churn on Thursday,
Clean on Friday,
Bake on Saturday,
Rest on Sunday.”
Another version goes:
Monday: Wash Day
Tuesday: Ironing Day
Wednesday: Sewing Day
Thursday: Market Day
Friday: Cleaning Day
Saturday: Baking Day
Sunday: Day of Rest

We generate a lot of laundry here at the cottage.  Serious laundry.  We basically do laundry every day. 

I've been reading the book "Large Family Logistics" by Kim Brenneman, that I mentioned here.
  She mentioned the same idea as Ma Ingalls had.  Different work for different days.

Seeing as how today is Monday and we always have a lot of laundry from the weekend, today is a good day to start.  I am hoping that if we can get all the laundry done today, that maybe we can only do laundry a few days a week, instead of every day.

I really do want to get organized and have a workable plan for keeping up with the vacuuming, dusting, cleaning out the fridge etc...instead of just trying to remember to get to it. 

We have a lot of helping hands around here and it won't take long to get our daily work done, and that way the cottage is always tidy.  Makes perfect sense doesn't it?

Now to actually implement it and make it work.  

Gotta run.


We've got LAUNDRY to do today!

5 comments:

  1. It always feels so good to have a tidy cottage! Somehow it always seems that I get off my cleaning schedule ~ but I love it when I'm actually doing it! I always do at least some laundry every day too! We can keep pressing on together! :)

    Blessings on your day!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm waiting on that book to arrive in the post here :o)

    We've recently switched to doing the folding/putting away on only 2 days a week and it sure does save some time. We still wash & hang to dry daily so we can avoid the use of the dryer, but once dry it stays in baskets till folding days which are Tuesdays and Saturdays. It's only been 3 weeks so far but it is working well. There is less time spent on washing while we've been doing it this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always had each day set for a different task, but laundry was never on the list. We have to do laundry every day. For us, doing it every day keeps it from becoming an overwhelming task. Just a little each day and it's like nothing. If I did it once a week it would be a mountain!

    But I do have other things set, like ironing, bathroom cleaning, floors, shopping, etc.

    By the way, LOVE your haircut! Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that works out for you. I do laundry two days a week. It works best for me if I get started right away in the morning and stick to it each time the buzzer on the washer or dryer lets me know a cycle is complete. If I get sidetracked and ignore the buzzers, I don't get as much done.

    My boys take care of the dishes taking turns unstacking and restacking the dishwasher and washing whatever does not fit into the dishwasher. They also clean the house every Friday. Also, all three boys fold the whites and the big boys fold the towels while the little one folds the washcloths.

    It's wonderful to have helpers to make the work lighter and quicker as we share the load.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading Large Family Logistics, too! I've been reading her website and blog for years, so I was already familiar with her ideas, but I love the book. I'm so glad all my friends talked me into getting it. :)

    The idea to have different work on different days of the week seems like such a good idea to me. I'm going to try it, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...