Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Thursday, September 18, 2008

English Apple Pie

Monday was a gorgeous day. It was also the day of a Mom's Meeting for our homeschool co-op. I wanted to take a little treat along, so I made English Apple Pie. Since I had run to the local fruit market earlier in the day, I sat out on the deck with my iced tea and peeled apples. It doesn't take too long, and the end result is worth it. I actually made two, as it is my husband's favorite.
Look at that yumminess!


Here is the recipe so you can share it with your loved ones!
English Apple Pie
Slice 5 or 6 apples into your pie pan. (How many depends on the size of your pan)
mix 1/2 cup of sugar and a teaspoon of cinnamon, and sprinkle over the apples.
Next beat 1 stick of butter with 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar. Mix in 1 cup of flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 3 Tbsp of water.
Dollop the topping on top of the apples, and bake the pie on the lowest rack in the oven @ 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
This is such a quick way to make pie and is so delicious you may never make regular apple pie again!
The funny thing was that several mom's were so surprised that I made it - one even said "You made it? How did you find the time? Did the girls do it?" I responded "I made it and I also made Potato Cheese Soup for dinner." These are easy recipes, and I mostly cook from scratch. This makes me wonder what other's do for meals, if they think there is no way I could have done this! My girls do cook and even Rachel is being to cook things by herself. I want them to have these skills!

9 comments:

Becky K. said...

This was good!

Apple pie is Warren's favorite too so I am glad he was there to enjoy it.

You make peeling the apples sound so appealing...no pun intended...lol. "On the deck with tea." Sigh.

See you later.

Becky K.

Melissa G said...

Oh, I miss ice tea!

That pie looks delicious and easy! Can we also have your potato cheese soup recipe? Soup is good around here on these cold wet days. =)

Anonymous said...

The toppping sounds easy so I may try this!! Your other pictures are pretty too!

Can Emily take a photgraphy class at a nearby community college? She might enjoy that! One of our worship pastors teaches this at our local college!

Karen said...

I'm gonna have to try your recipe. I am pie-impaired. I'm apparently too free spirited to roll out a crust and actually end up with a circle. lol

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Karen,

Your comment made me laugh! My regular pie crust tastes good, But I never can get it to fit right! hee hee I always have to end up piecing it! Glad to hear I am not alone!

Anonymous said...

Sounds great, although my English friends have assured me for years that English apple pie NEVER contains cinnamon. Really! I know this is true as we have had numerous conversations about it. :-)

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

The gal I got the recipe from years ago, called it that, so I have kept the name!

It is funny how different the palates are across both sides of the pond, isn't it? I can't imagine apple pie without cinnamon, and my kids do not like most British Candies.

I do adore the British Isles and love their tea!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Kelly said...

This sounds delicious, and though I have no trouble making apple pie with crust, I want to try this. Do you melt the butter, or just soften it? Apple crisp is easy and delicious, too!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I don't melt the butter, just soften!

I am not a fan of apple crisp but I love this! Just the difference in the topping!

Information Friday

  Yesterday, my parents celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary. Tim and I took them on a short road trip to Havre de Grace and we enjoyed...