Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Thanksgiving Plans

 


Well, our official head count has gone up to 31 people for our Thanksgiving feast. My brother's daughter and her husband are coming from upstate New York.

This is going to be a special day. 



I've mentioned some of this before, but we will be having our meal at our church, in the cozy library space. I'm thinking one long table, made up of four or five tables. I have silver candelabras and other candle holders, I'm thinking low floral arrangements. I have several sets of white china plates, lots of flatware available between mine, my silverplate, and my mom's flatware.

I think I have enough glassware, if not I'll get some nice water glasses at Dollar Tree. I'm thinking I'll do a pretty paper napkin. I have a lot of cloth ones, but not enough that would coordinate.

I will be slow roasting the turkeys overnight and {here} is the method I use. It turns out perfectly every time! 


My brother, a excellent cook and baker, is making pies. Kayleigh is making mashed potatoes and deviled eggs. Lindsay is making bread and rolls. I'll make stuffing, as well as the turkeys and gravy. My niece is bringing some kind of jello salad, my mom is making pumpkin rolls and her cranberry salad. The others will be bringing some vegetable dishes.

I think I may string some lights overhead in the space. We generally gather for the meal in the mid afternoon, between lunch and dinner. It gets dark around 5:00pm now, so the lights above would make the atmosphere cozy, and add ambiance for game playing and hanging out. 

I hope you all will be gathered with family this year! What are your plans? I'd love to hear all about them in the comments!




5 comments:

  1. Looks like we will be splitting Thanksgiving into two days this year. Our daughter-in-law has to work on Thanksgiving (she's a nurse in labor and delivery) so we will have an early Thanksgiving with them that Tuesday. My brother and his family will be here for Thanksgiving on Thursday. I have bought two turkeys and my husband, daughter and I plan to make all the sides ahead of time and freeze them. Then we can pull them out of the freezer and just cook what we need for each day. She and her family plan to be here both days since they live close and she wants to see everyone. It will be a week of celebrating! I think it's wonderful that you can have your Thanksgiving at your church. I have often thought of doing something like that if we can ever all get together for a family reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your venue sounds cozy and the lights will be extra nice. Anything you can do to make it feel more like home than an institution. Friends of mine often used the Veterans Hall. They had to work hard to get that to feel like Thanksgiving. 🦃 I think you'll have an easier time of it.

    My plans are simple. Over the river and through the woods to sister's house I go. Hopefully, I'll meet Laurel there except she's just informed me that she may have to work. I take a dim view of companies being open for Thanksgiving, unless absolutely necessary.

    Happy planning! Who's in charge of games? And you are so blessed for that extra hour of light. It will be nearly dark here at 4:00 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your plans sound great. How nice to be able to use that space at church. We will only have 9 at the Thanksgiving table counting our grands so it will be easy peasy. We are doing the turkey/grave/stuffing our DIL's mom will bring potatoes. Our DIL will do the pies. (I don't bake pies) My sister and her hubby will arrive that day and they'll bring themselves. I'll have to come up with a few rolls and my sweet potatoes with brown sugar butter and marshmallow top. My kids do not let me omit those...ever. Missing something green...hmmm. I'm going to try the slow cook turkey method you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a very big group gathering this year! It's great that you can use the church facility. I am sure that it will be homey with your dishes and the lights and all the home cooked food. It will be a memory-making year for sure!

    We will have twenty-two people at our Thanksgiving table this year. This is one of the meals that we put tables together and have everyone sit at one long table. There will be music playing from my Thanksgiving playlist, we will sing a hymn before the feast, and often Ryan brings his guitar and we all sing together after dinner and dessert. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wise and delightful plans.

    We will gather too, unless one of the younger 'Grands' gets 'the sniffles.' -smile- If so, everyone else will gather, and we won't. The family would not allow us old folks, to even be exposed to 'the sniffles.' -smile-

    But we will still get plates, with all the goodies.

    Plus we will make a Happy Chicken, stuffed with Gluten Free Stuffin' so I can have Stuffin'!!!!

    🍂💨🍂💨🍂

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Weekend

  This lovely Calathea that I bought in Nashville last month is doing well in my living room. It does need to be repotted, and I think I'...