Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Hope In Times Of Uncertainty


The world is a scary place right now.  For many, its never been anything but scary, however many of us have lead quiet, peace-filled, middle class American lives.

It's been good.  We've been blessed.  I can't help but feel like it is going to change.  Soon.


I read that the average American has $21,000 dollars of credit card debt.  Yes, you read that right, and that is not including other debt they have like a mortgage or car payments.

In my lifetime, I've seen people go from wanting to make more money to live at a higher status level, to not really caring about that as long as they could pay the minimum balance on their credit card every month.  Everyone wants to live like a celebrity, without a celebrities income.

 My husband worked with guys whose wives made as much as they did or more, and they still didn't own anything outright.  It was all on payments; house, car, boats, motorcycles.

I just don't see how this is sustainable much longer.  The Fed is going to be announcing today whether it will be raising interest rates.  They've been at historical lows to try to stimulate the economy.  If they do raise the rate, then what people owe will actually increase, even if they don't purchase anything else.  


 And what about our national economy and the worlds' economy?  These are not sustainable, either. Many people feel that a depression is coming the likes of which we haven't seen before.

And truly more troubling is our seeming disinterest in what Planned Parenthood does.  I am so glad to see that the 'mask' is off of what abortion really is, and what actually happens, but I am appalled at the apathy.  We as a people are too easily distracted by our entertainments.


So what do we do?  I think we can be wise and prepare now for some challenging times.  We can stock a bit of extra food, we can pay off debt, we can pray for our nation and the world.  

My hope is not in what governments can do for me.  My hope is in Jesus.  God holds all of history in His hands,  and He has placed you and me here at this point of history, for His purposes.


 I think we can and should share our hope with others.  We can write about what we are doing to ease financial strains, or how we are reaching out to others.  We can speak truth in love to one another and encourage each other.


 We can pray for each other, too.


 I love to share beautiful things, and to talk about what books I'm reading, or a photo of my pretty bed, and I will continue to do this.  But I want to be able to be truthful and talk about what's happening in the world, as well as sharing my daily life.


 It's more real, you know?  My real life is all these things, and so is yours.  


Worry is the antithesis of trust. You simply cannot do both. They are mutually exclusive. Elisabeth Elliot

I'd love to know what you think about it all.  Let's talk.


9 comments:

  1. Yes, so many changes in such a relatively brief amount of time. You have struck a nice balance, Deanna. We can be salt and light as He gives us His grace to do so. The entire world is held together by His hand and all we have to do to know what is going to happen is to read The Book. It is time for people to be sober and search their own hearts and line up on God's side. He loves us all so very much; however, the final choice is always our own.

    As "intense" as this was, the beautiful photos were lovely to see and very soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post. So many bloggers are discussing tough times to come. I think there may be something to it, ya know. Love your fall dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well written and I agree with every word. We're in bad times, but the best news is as you mentioned, PRAY!

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree 100%. This world can't continue on the destructive path it has been on.

    Grace & Peace

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with what you wrote in this post. Worry and trust do not co-exist easily and our country and the world are in trouble. Like you I often post about light topics for these hard times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something is coming...that's for sure!
    Prayer and trust in God and Jesus...100%....
    ((((HUG)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this thoughtful post. I love the title, for it declares hope. Indeed, if we are His, we do have hope! I am troubled when I see Christians wringing their hands over current conditions. Oh yes, we are vexed by the sin that is around us, but we are not without hope. I think we forget that God uses all things for His purposes. Proverbs 16:4..."The Lord has made all for himself; Yes, even the wicked for the day of doom."

    I love Vee's comment and what she says about "lining [ourselves] up on God's side."

    I, too, love the images of domestic tranquility that accompany your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so love this post Deanna. Beautifully stated among your lovely photos. The state of our country.....where to begin? When did journalists become entertainers, why do those depraved "K family" receive headline news daily when did marriage become nothing more than a legal contract rather than a promise before God? I sometimes wonder about the big bloggers who live and spend like there is no tormorrow? Thank you for the words of wisdom...there is hope and peace in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for our world! It is sad what is going on all around us! I will be praying daily for peace! Sending HUGS your ways!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Things I Like

  Brenda from It's A Beautiful Life blog did a post with this title and I enjoyed her list so I thought I'd do something similar. He...