Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Friday, January 6, 2017

Library Inspiration

The girls and I do a lot of dreaming about a home library.  I think we each have a Pinterest board devoted to the subject.  We like to read and we love books.

Here is my latest inspiration photo.


Its the library at Chatsworth.

It is lovely and way over the top for my cottage, but there are wonderfully inspiring things about this room that we could do in our home.

Take a look at the photo and what things do you notice?

1. Lighting - I notice there is no glaring overhead lighting but plenty of ambient lighting to make it a warm and appealing room.  The lamps are in the best spots in the room for people to be able to sit and read or have tea!

2. Color - I notice the warmth of the colors in the rug, the red couch and chairs grouped together, the green further in, that stunning ceiling.

3. Books - This may seem like a no brainer, but how nice to have a space where all your books could be gathered!  We have books in each bedroom, the living room, and the basement.

4. Furniture - There are, besides the couches and upholstered chairs, lots of chairs, tables, and desks.  It could be a family gathering spot, very easily.

5. Art - There is artwork in this room.  I think it makes for a cozier space when the walls have art on them.

I could easily incorporate many of these items into my own space and create a library that would be warm, beautiful and inviting to be in.

What do you think?  What are some things you'd want in your own library?  Do you have a library in your house?

8 comments:

  1. That ceiling!

    I am much happier when my books are electronic, so I would have a lovely library like that...with iPads everywhere. ;-) kinda would lose some of the atomosphere...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandparents had a beautiful paneled library in their home, wall to wall bookcases except for the big windows and fireplace. That's where I'd spend many hours when we would have our week long summer visit, as I grew older, reading my grandmother's extensive collection of GLH books and Emily Loring mysteries. Every room in our house sans one could really be a library. I think a bookcase beautifully warms up a room and adds to its grace and ambience. Go for your dream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I don't have a room dedicated solely to books, despite what some people may think. This is a beautiful library; however, where is the tea? Am I missing it? I have always thought it would be lovely if I could drink ginger ale and eat cheetos and still be able to read without messing up the book. What a shallow piece of work I am!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have no library now . . . but there is the possibility of a library room in my future! It would be a small one, nowhere near the grand scale of the one in your inspiration photo, but small and cozy is good for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I DO have a couple of library spaces (walls and/or corners) - and all your observations are applicable and workable in them! I also love the carpet/rug in Chatsworth! And the wood. I have to have lots of wood around me in my library spaces...

    ReplyDelete
  6. We kinda have a library in my Hubby's office:) I love books and always go straight to them at Estate Sales! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Imagine having such a grand room as this just for books and reading! A gardening associate who was once a teacher had an impressive library in her home - shelves built into the walls and full of beautiful leather bound books. Both she and her late husband collected and read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! My dream library is the one in the Disney Beauty and the Beast animated movie with the ladders.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...