Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Thursday, August 2, 2007

School Days

Hello everyone!

Yesterday we started our new school year. Lindsay is in 10th grade, Emily 8th grade, Rachel 3rd grade and Sarah is in Kindergarten!

Tuesday night, as I was tucking them into bed, we were talking about starting school in the morning. Sarah, very dramatically, said "I'm not ready for kindergarten." hee hee She is very funny.

She is loving her math, and today we did botany for science using a great book called "Exploring Creation with Botany" by Jeannie Fulbright. You can find excellent science materials here http://apologia.com/ We learned about taxonomy today which is classification. We used legos to see how scientists separate the plants into kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, and species! We used blue legos and separated them out into size, kind, shade of blue, etc...

They are keeping notebooks, writing down interesting information, like classification. It will be great at the end of the year to have these fun notebooks, with drawings of plants and information in them. Lindsay is doing biology this year, so all the girls are learning about living things.

We are reading from James Ushers "The Annals of the World". It is interesting to see the dating system and how some historians have even dated the first day of creation to a specific season and day of the month. Today we were reading about Adam, Seth and all the way to Noah and the flood. This we are doing as the beginning of our world history, studying the beginning of the world.

It is so cool to homeschool!

Can you tell I am loving it? There will be days to come that are not so fun or glorious as these are, but learning will take place and we will continue to look to the Lord to guide us on our way.

Tomorrow is my little guy's second birthday! So amazing. He is really verbal and is a joy to us all!

Have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, you make me anxious to start! I've got a few home projects to finish up and then it is full throttle ahead....My school materials look so fun this year!
    Chelsea is ready to start on her dress for Wiliamsburg as soon as a Grandma can help her..sewing goddess I am not. I can make awesome candles though...tee hee.
    She will have to post pictures on her blog when it is done. http://thefriendsatsunset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg i luv science my fav subject well i hope you guys have fun this year and i will maybe see you next summer.

    <3 kaity

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Things I Like

  Brenda from It's A Beautiful Life blog did a post with this title and I enjoyed her list so I thought I'd do something similar. He...