Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Passionate Housewives, Desperate for God

I recently read this book, and I really enjoyed it!

It is written by Jennie Chancey and Stacy McDonald. And yes, it is an intentional play on the title of the t.v. show.

They decided to write this book, after becoming discouraged by the "me first" message, even by other Christians. They say that "We were dismayed by the numbers of women publishing articles that urged Christian homemakers to put themselves first and seek happiness before service." They go on to say that "the message of the gospel is the reverse, you want to be first, go last. You want to be great? Be the least. You want to find rest for you soul? Serve others."

I find this very refreshing and challenging! But I believe it is right on. They do not rely on their own opinion either, they continually go back to what scripture says.

A section I really like is in a chapter called "Mama don't let your daughters grow up to be housewives", says this " You see, homemaking isn't about the house itself or the things it contains. Being keepers at home is about focusing upon the Lord in all the everydayness so that our houses become centers of hospitality, forgiveness, training, business, welfare, charity, shared mourning and celebration and -oh, yes- lots of tracked in mud, crumbs under the chairs, and everything else that goes with human beings. We must not lose sight of the fact that our homes are God-given tools to bless others."

I love this! This is what I desire for my home. My homemaking is so that I can use our home to serve others! This is what I am teaching my children as well! We must remember that very important ministry takes place everyday in our homes. It is ok if we are not well known, I want my children and husband to rise up and call me blessed!

I would recommend this book to any woman who wants to be encouraged in her walk with the Lord, and in her service to her family and others.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good read. Since I am hosting the book tour about Setting boundaries I received a book today in the mail. If you want I can pass that along to you when I finish since I saw that you wanted to buy it!!

    Oh, we're coming July 30th!! I hope that is okay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound like a very good book.

    Thanks for sharing about it. I'll check it out.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can borrow my book Becky, if you want!

    Paula, we are so excited about your visit! I did see your email this morning!

    I may buy this book long before your visit but I will let you know!
    I love to have resources for families!

    Love you both - have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...