Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Monday, August 12, 2019

Book Talk: David Austin's English Roses


I don't remember now where I first saw this book online, but I ended up on Thrift Books  and found it for just over $7.00 with shipping.  It's used and the dust cover is a bit worn at the edges but otherwise it is in brand new condition.

I like this book because of the stunning photographs - just look - 



But also I like it for the information it gives.



There are so many pages of roses with the breeding information and other details.


My copy was published in 1993 and when I looked on Amazon this morning I couldn't find this particular book.

David Austin died last December, but the family and company will go on using his methods to bring us these beauties.

David Austin's story makes me smile as it is an example of someone who took and idea and a passion for what he was doing.

What an amazing gift.

8 comments:

  1. Roses are among my favorite flowers, I carried yellow roses in my wedding bouquet. They don't grow well where I live, though. That is a gorgeous book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it would be lovely to grow such gorgeous roses. I am having trouble with knockout roses so it seems unlikely. Your book is beautiful and practical, too, with all the great information. I did not know that Austin had passed last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a beautiful book! Even though the autor is gone - his book lives on and I think that's so very wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! This book has your name written all over it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love when I find treasures like this. And even though I don't grow roses (black thumb over here), I would have a great time looking at the photos. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful book, lucky you to find it! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see why this book tickled your fancy...what gorgeous photos they are. I have had roses in the past but it has been years ago that I actually grew my own bushes when we lived in KY. Here in, NC, nothing grows very well in the hard, red clay and that's all I have tried. Maybe I will have better luck when we get to TN!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...