Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Shepherds Abiding


I love the Mitford Series by Jan Karon. Earlier this week Brenda at Coffee,Tea,Books and Me mentioned this book in one of her posts. I read it several years ago, but decided to reread it this Christmas season.

I loved it so much, again! These characters make me want to live in Mitford.

The kids went to Sight and Sound Theatre and saw "Miracle of Christmas," with their grandparents today. This gave me time to sit in my livingroom and read to my hearts content!

I also made a traditional cookie in our family that I make every year. My grandma used to make these Russian Tea Cakes every Christmas and passed the recipe along to me. I am going to share it with you.

Russian Tea Cakes

1 pound of butter
1 cup of sugar
4 1/2 cups of flour
Vanilla to taste
walnuts, optional
Powdered sugar

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and sugar and mix 1 cup of flour into the butter and sugar mixture at a time. Add vanilla to taste - I use 1 tsp of REAL vanilla. If you want to add walnuts you can add them now.

Roll dough gently into small balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Cook for 10-12 minutes. After cookies cool, roll in powdered sugar.

That's it. So simple and yet delicious! They are a shortbread cookie and make a wonderful gift!

Do you do a lot of baking during the Christmas season?

4 comments:

  1. I love the Mitford series! What a great read while preparing for Christmas.

    I do very little baking in preparation for Christmas. We are hosting my husband's family in our home for four days right after Christmas, and they always bring waayyy too many baked goods anyway! I am trying to be careful with what I eat, and I am too tempted to try a little of everything I make, so it's better to just avoid it. We will, however, do a little baking with my boys using one of the mixes I received as a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Mitford!!!

    Have you started the Gumpy series?
    I started the recent book and it is a hoot already!!! You will love Hank!

    I make a lot of Apple Cider during this time. We drink that more than anything. Although I am out of cider right now!

    I love those cookies and made them last year...so so good! Melt in your mouth good!

    Have a great afternoon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Mitford series! And how did you know I was trying to think of a Christmas novel to read? What a great idea! I read it a few years ago, but I know it will be so good to read it again this time of year.

    As for cookies, I'm going to a cookie exchange next Monday night, so I'll be making 11 dozen cookies this weekend! My daughter will help me make them and that will be fun! The cookie exchange will be a relaxing evening with friend!

    Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVe those cookies!! My mom has made them every year since I can remember...we call them snowball cookies!! Delish!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Things I Like

  Brenda from It's A Beautiful Life blog did a post with this title and I enjoyed her list so I thought I'd do something similar. He...