Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Field Trip


One of the things I love about home educating my kids is that we get to go on field trips! We don't do them nearly enough, but when we go it is a fun and educational event and a nice break for us all.


Longwood Gardens has gorgeous indoor displays - the yellow in the background is a wall of yellow mums and there are hanging globes of mums as well.



On either side of the walk way are many different varieties of Chrysanthemums.



Do you like how the mums are hung on the columns inside the Conservatories?

I took a peek and this is how they do it! Very clever.

These hanging globes are simply amazing!

The kids had fun stamping their booklets for the different garden rooms inside the Conservatory. Here they are sitting with Grandma, showing her their books.

We enjoyed all the fall displays outside in the gardens as well.


We were hoping to see an awesome train display. The week I wanted to take them, it rained and was very windy for 3 days - so I painted my parents dining room. Unfortunately, that week ended the train display so we missed it! Boo hoo!

The glass pumpkins more than made up for it!


These are all blown glass and they have them lit in certain spots.



This is a giant cornucopia in the Music Room in the Conservatory. The pumpkins were displayed all around it.

Aren't these patterns amazing?


I love these....
The colors were just stunning....


Aren't they beautiful?
We were so thrilled to get to see them and to read about the process of how they made them. If you would like to see the folks who make these amazing works of art you can see it here.

7 comments:

  1. I know right where you are!! Those are very pretty. Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing.

    Hey Phyllis, did ya miss me???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pumpkins! They really are beautiful.

    We need to fit in some field trips before it gets colder. Somehow, it often seems easier to just stay home...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I think field trips like that might be enjoyed by me just as much as the kiddos. That place is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This place is just amazing! I love the pumpkins and the fantastical floral displays. I wish we lived close enough for a field trip too:>)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to get to Longwood soon! Once the kids are done working....sigh...

    The pictures are great!

    See you later.

    Becky K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the homeschool field trips too. Looks like you guys had a great time. What a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just amazing! I want to go there.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...