Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Remembrance

Today is the birthday of my late grandpa, Alfred David Martin and Tim's late dad, Joseph Elmer Rabe. They were born one year apart and never knew each other, but I think that in some ways they were similar. They both lived through the depression, my grandpa's family was poor and some of the kids were in and out of the state orphanage during that time, as the family couldn't provide for them. Elmer's family were farmers in Western Pennsylvania, his dad was a difficult man. Grandpa Al and Elmer had been through difficulties in their lives. My grandpa served with Patton in the war and, whether because of the hardships of his childhood or issues from the war, he had a nervous breakdown when I was a kid and spent time in the VA hospital.

Elmer grew up to be a missionary and served 23 years in Senegal, West Africa. He and Tim's mom buried two of their six children there, Davy died at 6 months of complications from malaria. Joey died at age 10 - he was killed by a crocodile. Elmer and Jean continued to serve the African people that God had sent them to. Elmer, who was greatly overweight, was a well loved man there. He loved to bargain, which is a way of life in Senegal. He traveled in the country, handing out tracts and Bibles, but he also suffered from depression. When my husband was about 12 the family came home, and his dad went into the hospital to be treated for depression.

Both of these men loved their families the best they knew how. Both of them were saved by the grace of God. Today we know they are in heaven with the Lord, and I think they must know each other, hanging out with my Grandma who tells them both all about us all. Grandpa and Elmer both died before Tim and I met.

One day we will all meet again - without pain of depression or heartache. Just joy.

Happy Birthday Al and Elmer - we remember you and love you both.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Deanna for the beautiful remembrance for daddy and Elmer.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled across your blog this evening and have been blessed though I've only read a few posts! I just read and was touched by this one in particular... Many people in my family are not doing well right now-either physically or mentally- and while it is sad to hear of others losses, or being "difficult people", having mental break downs, or depression-- that doesn't mean that people don't still have a personal relationship with the Lord and that they are or will be with Him in glory!! I'm sorry if I'm rambling now... but there is so much on my mind and I just wanted to let you know that you ministered to me tonight :) Also love your selection of songs! Fernando Ortega is playing right now- "Give me Jesus" wow. amen and amen.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...