Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Monday, March 25, 2019

Accepting Others For Who They Are, Rather Than Stumbling Over Who They're Not




This was a quote our pastor used in church yesterday.  It is really resonating with me and giving me a lot to ponder.

I think this is a lost art.  We no longer know how to do this in our culture.  We want everyone to be who WE want them to be and when they are not, or when they are different than who we like, we completely write them off.

I find that I have done this in my own life.  There are people in my life who've never accepted me for who God made me to be, and so in my hurt and desire that they love me for myself, I have stumbled over who they are not.

I need to get to the place where I can CELEBRATE them for who they are, even if they can't do the same.  Or maybe when I can celebrate them, they'll find they can celebrate me, too.

I see this in our national life.  We are unable, now, to accept people for thinking or being different than we are.  We don't allow for people to think differently.  This is not good.  We must learn to see who a person is in their entirety, so that we can see areas that we can have agreement with them.  Perhaps even find that we may share many things in common.

When we can do this, I think we'll find a much more peaceful nation, and even world.


6 comments:

  1. Love this advice for being mindful....I think my sister is the very best at doing this....she sets a great example for us all! Happy Spring week Deanna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes if we could only celebrate our differences!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT post and GREAT food for thought. What a wonderful quote to start the week with...I often think it's no accident that church is on Sunday! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...giving me pause as well. On the one hand, I see the value; on the other, I see the danger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this line of yours: "I need to get to the place where I can CELEBRATE them for who they are, even if they can't do the same. Or maybe when I can celebrate them, they'll find they can celebrate me, too."

    Thanks for this wonderful reminder of what we want to aim for: Love in every direction.

    Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, learning to see others' differences and love them is so important. We are in danger of becoming so polarized in our thinking that we are unable to love the unlovable the way Jesus taught us to love. I think it's because people are afraid of losing something that we draw into ourselves and into fear rather than into strength in Christ.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Things I Like

  Brenda from It's A Beautiful Life blog did a post with this title and I enjoyed her list so I thought I'd do something similar. He...