Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Evaluating My Life

This was sent to me by a dear friend. It was timely for me and something I continue to ponder!



Evaluating My Life
Jean Fleming
“Shew me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths.” Psalm 25:4

Three or four times a year, I spend a day with the Lord to evaluate my life, to examine my schedule, and to set some new directions for the months ahead... I pray, “At this point in my life, Lord, what is it You want me to do? What must I do to keep my relationship to You vital? What do You want me to say yes and no to?”

Looking at life this way helps me ensure that I don’t become too busy or fragmented to maintain my relationship to the Lord, to have vital time with my family, or to have a part in influencing the world for Christ.

As I evaluate my life before the Lord every three or four months, I remind myself that life is seasonal. There is a time and a season for everything (see Ecclesiastes 3:1). I can’t do everything at once, nor should I. The question is, At this point in my life – what should I be doing?

Jesus did not heal everyone. He did not meet the needs of all the poor, or cast out all demons. I cannot meet every need I’m aware of. I cannot exploit every opportunity.

The goal of much that is written about life management is to enable us to do more in less time. But is this necessarily a desirable goal? Perhaps we need to get less done, but the right things.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I think it's a good thing to think about. I agree with that last statement!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Things I Like

  Brenda from It's A Beautiful Life blog did a post with this title and I enjoyed her list so I thought I'd do something similar. He...