Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Monday, November 4, 2019

Why Are People Confused About Daylight Savings Time?



A pet peeve I have is that every time we have a time change, people complain about Daylight Savings Time.

I actually saw an online petition to abolish DST.  People complain about it getting dark earlier now that its "DST."

People, people, people.

When we 'fell' back this weekend we returned to Standard Time.  This is what it would be like in November if we abolished DST.  It is a naturally occurring seasonal change due to our trip around the sun.

I think the problem is really that people actually like DST and would like to do away with the return to ST.  However, it still would get darker earlier at this time of year due to where the earth is in our yearly spin around the sun. 

I think another problem people have is just losing or gaining that hour.  For adults it really means less sleep.  We tend to stay up and use that 'gained' hour, and when we spring forward and lose an hour in the spring, we still don't go to bed early.  

The real problem is for those with small children who sleep and wake by body clock.  Those little people were up before the sun yesterday, because their body clocks said it was time to get up!

Benjamin Franklin proposed DST back in the early years of our country's founding.  When congress actually passed it, it was with the idea that farmers, especially, would have an extra hour of daylight for working in their fields.

Now days, farmers use GPS and the tractors have headlights so they are out working in the fields long after the sun has gone down anyway.

I personally would be okay with doing away with DST.  I like Standard Time.  I don't mind it getting dark early.  For me, its a chance to turn on ambient lighting, have some delicious meal ready for the family as they all return home, and for us all to get cozy and relax together in the evening.

Daylight Savings with it staying light later, tends to keep us busier and on the run, because its still light out.  

Regardless if we keep DST or just stay on Standard Time, I think what we all want is to not go back and forth.  Let's just keep one, and my vote is to keep the one that is the natural cycle of light and dark during the year.

What about you?  Which do you prefer?  Also did you know that some states don't do DST?  Arizona and Hawaii, and part of Indiana.  And some territories like Puerto Rico, and Samoa.

8 comments:

  1. I hate Standard Time, but understand the need for it. It is depressing for dark to descend at 4 in the afternoon. Nothing that a few months won’t cure. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean.....what's the big deal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy with just the way it is, but I have noticed the complaints, especially among young families. I just say, the kids will adjust in a day or two or three--it's just part of life. I love have it darker in the evenings when the weather starts turning cold--like you--candles for dinner, etc. All about cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The original idea behind Daylight Saving Time is no longer applicable. I say just stop this "falling back" and "springing ahead"! I am chronically ill and the shift in the spring messes me up for an entire week as my sleep-deprived body tries to adapt to losing an hour. Yes, I like that it stays light until well into the evening in the summer so I am able to get outside when it's cooler and work in the garden, but not at the expense of what messing with the clock twice a year does to our bodies (mine in particular).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deanna. I don't really care one way or the other...but I sure did when I was little and my folks would forget and we'd be late for church services.....and I loved it in the 80s when we would gain another hour of dance time at the clubs. Now? I hate short days but that isn't time's fault, it is winter's fault. Like Vee said - this too shall pass fast enough, why complain? Yawn.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like standard time is the "real" time, but I really wouldn't mind either. However, I would prefer that we'd choose one or the other and stay there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a big fan of the dark days, I love summer and everything that goes with it...including those late sunsets. However, yes, even without these government imposed time changes, it would be darker earlier. I try to embrace it like you do, with candle glow and soft music, but haven't always been successful in the past. I will say that this year I'm leaning into it and I'm loving the fact that my body wakes up earlier. I have made so much of that extra hour. It's been a really nice start to the day...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Deanna, it's been ages since I've been by. My blog break is over, and I am back to visiting blogs again...and since I deleted my old blog, I have made public my formerly private one, and am now writing on that one. I wrote today about this very thing---the darker evenings, which I love. I prefer Standard Time, but I suppose I could live with DST. I just get tired of switching the clocks twice a year. Stop by and visit me if you have a chance. You can get there through my Blogger profile.

    Blessings,
    Patti @ This Beautiful Life (formerly Joy in the Middle)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

This And That

  Marketplace has been good to me once again! I found this darling loveseat for $40! It's clean with no stains. The cushion covers come ...