Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Wednesday, April 14, 2021

It's A Beautiful Morning

 


I was up and out of the house, with Kyle, early this morning. It wasn't unusually early for me to be awake and out of bed, but I'm not usually headed out the door at 7:20 am.

We needed to run into town and take Tim's trailer tire to the local tire business we use. The tire had picked up a nail or something, and even though Kyle found the leak yesterday, and Tim usually can plug them, it didn't work this time so off to the tire guy to be repaired.

Tim needs that tire to be on the trailer this afternoon as he has to take about 400 gallons of water to an inspection.  The tire will be ready in a few hours, so we'll have plenty of time to get it, then Kyle will put it back on the trailer, and fill the water totes.

I'm always glad when we can support Tim in anyway, and make his day easier.

I am appreciative of your comments yesterday. Thank you all for being a part of this community of friends online. I'm thankful for each one of you!

I don't know how many of you have Telegram. If you do, Patrick M. Byrne has been sharing some incredible things about the election. If I can figure out how to share some of those things here, I'll do it.

I hope none of you have to go to any major cities right now. I think they are dangerous places with the rioting. Some of the things I'm doing during these days of uncertainty and chaos are 1. Keeping my vehicle filled with fuel and 2. Keeping a semi deep pantry.

Kyle doesn't always understand why I buy extra, but last week the price of butter at our local Aldi was up 97 cents in one week! I'm grateful for beef in the freezer from the side of beef we split with my parents and our daughter and son in law last fall. We are setting money aside for when we will need to buy a side again. I buy extra canned goods of things we eat, and I have an extra ham, and turkey in our freezer as well. I buy chicken at Aldi.

Kyle is taking a homesteading class, and a food science class at co-op this semester. So far in the homesteading class he has learned to make jam and make a sour dough starter among other things. Handy and useful skills to have.

He's been learning to cook and bake over the last year, and I think it's so important to teach our kids and grands so they have these vital skills. Even young kids can help in the home with daily work. Kyle knows how to do laundry, and does the mowing here, too. He's going to be 16 this summer. He can change tires and oil, knows how to pump gas, use the ATM machine at our bank, grocery shop. 

He's being well prepared for adulthood, which has always been our goal with our kids. Tim and I always used to say that we were raising adults not kids. We wanted them to be well functioning adults.  I think we did alright in that department.

If your kids are grown, and you have grands, invite them over to bake with you. They won't mind taking most of the results home with them! If you are still actively raising kids, get them involved with your daily routines. With homeschooling, it helped me to get daily work done without feeling as if I had to do it all! So we could enjoy our homeschool, and our home, and not be swamped! Even little ones can help fold laundry - they are really good with socks and washcloths!

I'm rambling now, so I'll go. Be of good courage friends! You are not alone!

3 comments:

  1. I do your two things also. I will say that I try to keep my pantry filled with things I really use so that I can just keep on when life interrupts. Most of that has just been part of living where I live (Florida) with hurricanes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake baked brownies by himself a few weeks ago in my kitchen. My only help was to encourage him to read carefully and do the next thing. Great brownies! ☺️

    Sounds as if you had a busy day. Families are teams for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deanna, I read your last post and didn't have an opportunity to leave a comment. I completely agree with you, and it's difficult to write posts about home decor and crafts when I witness the trouble in our country. What a transformation in less than 100 days into this administration's life. Whew! However, my trust is in the Lord. It has to be! That's the only thing that makes sense to me. I thought of you this morning as I began reading the book of Jeremiah. I see similarities to Israel during that time and the U.S. now. I would be interested to know if you see the same things. Anyway, I love you and I appreciate you so much. Although we are miles apart and have never met in person, you are my sister in Christ and I feel we are bosom friends. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Weekend

  This lovely Calathea that I bought in Nashville last month is doing well in my living room. It does need to be repotted, and I think I'...