Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Monday, March 7, 2022

Weekend

We had a low key weekend that ended with something very special.

Friday night Wes and Rachel brought wings over and cooked them for us all for dinner. That was fun. 

Saturday saw me puttering around the house, and finally giving my house plants some real attention. They got some fresh soil added, some fertilizer stakes, and a good watering.



I spent several hours working on the program for Tim's mom's memorial service. I also marinated steaks for Sunday lunch. 

Today we went to church, chatted with some long time friends we hadn't seen for a while. We gave a box of tea cups, and tea things to some friends at church, too! 

When we got home, Tim grilled the steaks, I made some wild rice, a green salad, and my homemade ranch dressing.

Tim took a long nap after lunch, and while he was sleeping, our son in law texted to say that our new granddaughter had been born!

We are so thankful for her safe arrival!

Then being in a celebratory mood, I made cupcakes!


I used a boxed yellow cake mix from Aldi for the cupcakes. I do doctor the mix up though. I use milk instead of water, I use butter instead of oil, and I add an extra egg!

The frosting is one I've made for ages. I got it off of a Hershey's cocoa powder can years ago.

Here it is -

1 stick of butter,

1/2 cup of cocoa powder (can use more if you want it darker)

2 2/3 cup of powdered sugar

3-5 tablespoons of milk (I used a bit more than that today to get it creamy)

1 tsp vanilla 

It's delicious!


I have a busy Monday ahead, but then the week settles out. I'll have time to think about some projects coming (new roof and portico over the front door, finally!), and to being thinking of our trip to Florida for Tim's mom's memorial.


6 comments:

  1. What an adorable picture of your new little "Sweetie"!!!!

    Hooray for your celebration 'goodies'!!!!!!

    I got 'hooked' on a Utube ch. of live coverage of the American Truckers, over the weekend. :-)

    Also watched tooooo much Fox and Newsmax.

    Gentle hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warm congrats on the safe arrival of your new granddaughter. She is some kind of adorable.

    That chocolate frosting is my favorite. It is yummy...not too sweet and just the right consistency.

    All the best with the planning and the busyness of the coming days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable granddaughter! You are not kidding when you say the weekend ended with something very special!

    I so admire your green thumb. Mine is a much darker shade than that ... maybe taupe? I cannot keep plants alive.

    And the cupcakes look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! Babies are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was an extra special weekend!! No wonder you felt celebratory!! Congrats to all of you on the arrival of this beautiful blessing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the addition of another little grandbaby! Thanks for the suggestions on additional ingredients for fixing up a boxed cake mix. I also like your new header, I have a few of those kitchen towels, so pretty.
    Instagram.com/melissasnotes

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Things I Like

  Brenda from It's A Beautiful Life blog did a post with this title and I enjoyed her list so I thought I'd do something similar. He...