Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Ranch Home Renovation Update

 I've written about some of our home renovation plans many times. However, like life, plans change sometimes.

We had plans to do a portico over our front door; something similar to this.


Well, we had an estimate, and because ours is on a ranch home and not a two story home, they'd have to cut into the roof line. The estimate came in at $9,000! That was way more than we was anticipating. Tim was still willing to have it done, but I said, "No. I'd rather spend that money on something else, for now."

We have windows to replace, and that will be a good chunk of money, so I'd rather for now use that $9k for windows!

However, our roof is going to be replaced this coming week! Hurray!

Another project that will be happening soon, is a pool deck. Tim has the plans ready, and just needs to purchase the materials and get a few hands to help on a Saturday. That will make it much easier for everyone to get into the pool and out of the pool.

I don't know if I've mentioned it here but we will have our mortgage paid off this year! I'm very excited about this. In doing renovations, I don't want to have to get a loan the size of a mortgage in order to do the projects. For the roof, windows, and replacing the siding, we've socked money away, and can pay cash. The only other projects looming would be paying for some of the addition (such as part of the kitchen and garage costs), but I'm willing to think through what is really needed and adjust the addition plans accordingly.

With this disaster of a presidential administration, I'm worried our economy is going to collapse, and I do not want debt, if we can avoid it.

Do you all know much about the Federal Reserve, fiat currency, petro dollars? Would you be interested in me sharing what I've been learning over the last few years? It's very interesting.

Well I must do school with the kids now, and this afternoon my May wedding bride is coming with her mother to finalize floral plans! Very fun!

Have an excellent day!

7 comments:

  1. How sweet it is to hear that your mortgage will be paid for this year! That is something very few people can say. Its so wonderful that you are a great family that work together having savings to cover your projects prior to getting them done. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, the cost of renovations!

    Glad we had the necessary ones done, back during the Trump Administration! :-)

    Don't think you have mentioned doing the section-for-your-parents lately. Probably that too, has been stopped, by the disasterous decisions of this miserable administration...

    πŸŒΈπŸŒΊπŸŒ·πŸ’“πŸŒ·πŸŒΊπŸŒΈ

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a sweet portico, but I see what you mean about a $9,000 price tag.😳 The cost of everything is shocking. I don't know how people are going to survive.

    Yes, I would be interested in hearing what you have been learning about the Federal Reserve, etc.You will make it understandable. I, too, am concerned about the collapse
    of the economy and the collapse of the society and everything of value.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A house, be it a new home or older home, takes maintenance! We have done so much to ours in the eleven years we have been back in Texas...and the cost is mind blowing.....part of home ownership, right? I think probably the biggest mistake I see, is when people do not update or make repairs to their home which is probably your biggest asset! Congrats on being mortgage free!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on that mortgage payoff this year! That's a great accomplishment. Sorry the portico had to be sidelined.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, I hear you with the renovation costs. We just replaced our roof and our pool liner. Both were overdue and we just gave the mason a deposit on a new patio. The old one is crumbling and the cost to repair the cement is more than a new patio. I was blown away by the cost and like you, we don't do debt. Congrats on the mortgage! That's a wonderful feeling!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on having your mortgage paid off! That is a big deal in any times! You are wise to take it slow in the home renovations. Much can be done a little at a time. A new roof is going to be wonderful . . . a big improvement for your house!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Things I Like

  Brenda from It's A Beautiful Life blog did a post with this title and I enjoyed her list so I thought I'd do something similar. He...