Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Beef, It's What"s For Dinner

I want to start my post today, buy saying that my post yesterday was not meant to be pro Russia. Not at all. My post was about misinformation that so easily gets passed off as truth. It was about showing how propaganda has played a big part in our emotions regarding this issue.

After being lied to for the last several years, I want to be discerning regarding world events. 


We woke Friday to ice covering everything! It was beautiful. Before long it was melting as the sun came out and warmed everything.

Friday is also the day, that our beef was ready from the butcher. We ordered a whole Angus steer from our farmer friend, which means we asked if he'd raise one for us. Often we'll just buy a side of beef, or a quarter, but this time we took the whole cow. We are sharing with my parents of course, but Wes and Rachel have bought an eighth, and our friends are buying a quarter of it. 

Our farmer friend raises it, let's us know when he takes it to the butcher, and sends us an invoice. The butcher contacts us about the cuts we'd like, and gives us a time frame of when it'll be ready. We pay them for their services when we pick it up.

Tim figured out that the meat costs us about $3.00 a pound when we do it this way. Our freezers are full. I'm thankful to live where we live, and to be able to buy meat from the person who raised it. 



We are able to get steaks, roasts, soup bones, organ meats, and ground beef for a very affordable price.

Sunday we cooked a roast in the crock pot, shredded the meat and had bbq beef sandwiches, cole slaw, and bake beans for lunch. It was tender and delicious.

Have you ever bought meat this way?
 

7 comments:

  1. It's good to know where your beef comes from and what is and isn't in it. We raise a beef every year or so and share it with our kids. We'll be taking our heifer to the processor next week. Even though feed is quite expensive right now, it's still cheaper than buying it at the store and we think it tastes a lot better too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I have never bought an entire steer, but I was blessed as a young woman to have a father-in-law who raised beef and was generous with meat selections. I do have a local farmer from whom I can purchase meat purchases. I am only one and I have no freezer so my options are limited. I think what you did is terrific and far better than depending on your local supermarket. 👍🏼

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ice. Eeeeek!

    You need a good freezer, for this.

    Please read my post today, Tues. 3/1/'22.

    Thank you.

    🌻 🌻 🌻 🌻 🌻 🌻

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must have missed yesterdays...but yes, there is plenty of misinformation out there, from our government to the media. Yes, we use to buy like that--but with moving out of state at the end of March and selling items, we are shopping once a week...and not really eating much and to tell you the truth, since our son passed away in Dec., neither of us have the appetite anymore. OH, and prices are way up--which I know you know that.

    ANYWAYS, have a beautiful week. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have in the past. Our kids who live in the country with us buy a cow every year all cut up and packaged. The most economical way to go and it helps the ranchers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always remember the two little old ladies in the commercial ... "Where's the beef?" LOL! We've never bought beef this way (limited income), but beef causes us medical issues, so we stay away from red meat as much as possible. // I missed yesterday, also, so will go back and read. I may not always comment, but I'm here reading your posts almost every time! Be blessed, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my friends "bought a cow" in college and split it with his apartment-mates and a few of their buddies. I thought it was the funniest - and most random - thing back then, as a suburban girl. Now of course, I not only know better, but wish I knew where I could do the same!! I bet it tastes amazing, too...

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Weekend

  This lovely Calathea that I bought in Nashville last month is doing well in my living room. It does need to be repotted, and I think I'...