Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Thursday, August 14, 2014

The Leaves They Are A Changin'

I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing this.  

As I drive along the roads here in beautiful Lancaster County I am seeing changes.  Already.  In August.  The sumac and other trees and bushes that change color in September,  are changing already.  

It's happening in my own backyard.

 I took these photos while I was mowing yesterday.

My burning bushes are turning red



 Our Black Walnut trees which always are the first to change and drop leaves are changing now.



The weather has been warm and sunny during the days and cooler at night.  I think the poor trees are confused.  They think it's time.

The weather is forecasted to stay in the mid 70's to low 80's with perhaps a day or to of hotter weather.  The last several years we have had high humidity and scorching temperatures all summer, and August is historically a hot month here.  I'm not sure we'll make it to swim at Camp Geezer this summer.  They had pool issues which required a new liner, then a new pump, but truthfully it hasn't been that hot to swim.  The water is too cold to swim, unless your a crazy person like Lindsay who, along with Joseph, headed over last week just after the fire tanker filled my Dad's pool with water from the spring feed reservoir.  

Mind you, I am not complaining.  We have the air conditioning off, the lovely breeze blowing through the house, sunshine…what more could we ask for?  I love this kind of weather!

We sat on the deck after dinner last night with our guests and drank coffee and tea, and watched the kids play.  It was lovely.  If this keeps up I'll be able to enjoy the outdoors, usually I hibernate in the summer and come back to outdoor life in the Autumn!

Oh, one more thing!  I want to show you this interesting frog I found yesterday in the grass by our fire pit.


He was very coppery, and he had started to move out from this area and then decided to move back a bit and wait for me to stop going around and around this space!  Smart froggy!  We have lots of toads and frogs due to our creek but I've not seen one this color before.  

I saw a forecast for winter and they were saying that it will be colder than normal and more snow than normal, so it sounds as if they are thinking it will be like last year.  I'm thinking we better store up as much sunshine in our bones as we can!


6 comments:

  1. We have some turning leaves in our yard too! As much as I love fall, I am a little reluctant to see summer go this year. (I can't believe I'm saying that! Who am I?) But we've had so much pleasant summer weather and we have had a lot of relaxing fun. It has been refreshing. (I won't even think about this winter being like last winter. Not yet.) ;)

    I am cold just thinking about Lindsay and Joseph jumping into that water!! ~shiver~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that forecast stinks. LOL! I mean really. I have wanting to hang onto summer as long as possible. It's been like one long beautiful autumn with just a few spikes in temps to remind us that it is summer. So, if summer is like autumn and autumn is like winter...winter should be like spring. That's my prediction. I am sharing a toad or a frog I just found in the garden. He's not nearly as pretty as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things are changing around here, too, but I'm averting my eyes and thoughts from the next season. Oh, I so hope your winter isn't like last year's. That was brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here! It looks like mid-September here with turning leaves and the low is to get in the 40's tonight. Last Winter was horrible. I kinda wondered if this cool summer meant a pattern was emerging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Things are changing here too, just a little south of you. Much earlier than last year. I can't say I am completely ready for it! Which is weird, because I am usually ready for Autumn. :o) I was in your area on Wednesday evening. I met a friend from Canada for dinner at The Plain and Fancy Restaurant in Bird in Hand. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm north of you (central NY) and just started noticing a hint of color in some trees this week. The goldenrod and some other more September flowers are blooming as well. Summer has gone by quickly and has been a chilly one!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...