Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

From Field To Jam

Yesterday, we went and picked strawberries. The price was cheaper the more you picked. So we picked 29 pounds! That made our price $1.95 per pound.

Here all the kids are reading some picking instructions.

Beautiful fruit.


Sarah declared herself the "Best" strawberry picker. Her friend told her not to brag! I agreed, but must admit that she had a knack of finding the biggest and prettiest strawberries!


We filled two of these boxes to overflowing!


Here are what were left this morning, being cooked into jam!


After cooking, they made 7 wide mouth pint jars of Strawberry Jam. Simply fruit, organic cane sugar and clear jell. I like knowing that I can provide food for my family.

10 comments:

  1. We just did this at preschool! The kids were all able to make strawberry jam from scratch, such a fun experience! The strawberries are delicious right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did it take 29 pounds of berries for 7 pints of jam? If so, YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no! I split the 29 pounds with my friend and her kids, so I got about 14 pounds or so. We cut up alot last night for a treat and some more today also!

    What was left was made into jam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! That sounds better! The jam looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it tastes as good as it looks! It seemed a tad tart to me, but I used up all my sugar, so we will see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at the heart Sarah is holding it looks like a perfect heart!!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks wonderful!
    Where did you pick?

    Becky K.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very yummy! I love making jam :) Lookin' good :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The jam looks wonderful and your new header is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...