Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Monday, June 9, 2008

Strawberry Jam

These strawberries were picked by Lindsay and myself 30 minutes ago in our garden.

I know I am so talkative today - sorry!


My cousin Nicole asked me for my strawberry jam recipe so I thought I would post it here.

Quick Strawberry Jam

2 cups of crushed strawberries

2 cups sugar ( I use less, more like 1 cup - 1 1/2 cups)

Cook until consistency of jam.

That's the recipe in its entirety.

Now I will tell you that I like to add Sure-Jell to mine for thickening, but you don't have to. It is quite delicious either way.

I boil my jars and lids, and then when the jam is done, I fill the hot, dry jars with jam, put a lid on and turn the ring until it is tight. It will vacuum seal itself.

7 comments:

  1. This looks delicious.I love homemade jams (really anything)
    Deby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm assuming you don't do the hot water bath then? When you put the seals and rings on, do you then stand the jars upside down for a time? I've heard that's necessary. I haven't canned much so this is still quite new to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't do the waterbath at all. The heat from the jars and the boiling hot jam cause the lids to seal tight!

    I don't usually turn them upside down - I have before but they just fine without doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How scrumptious!! Strawberry jam is one of my favorites! I may be stopping over. ;o) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come on by, I will put on the kettle and we can have tea. Your little girlie could have a pony ride and you could take home a kitten!
    What do you say?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used your method yesterday. The jars sealed just fine!!! Now I just wanted to double check on something. Because there is no water bath, is it still OK to store them on the shelf or do they have to be refrigerated? Love you blog!

    Ruth, PA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ruth,

    I store my jam in the pantry. I only stick it in the fridge after we open one! Which reminds me, my husband used the last of one this morning so I better get another one out for lunches!

    Thank you for reading my blog and for enjoying it!

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Creekside Cottage - a place of Hospitality, Friendship and Encouragement!

Information Friday

Tim and I had a great time visiting our daughter Emma and her family. This birthday crown has seen a lot of heads this past week, but I had ...