Hospitality, Friendship, Encouragement

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Styling My Secretary


 All I've really done so far is move some books and trinkets to the shelves.



I took this photo while sitting at my desk the other day.

 I've also put stationary in the cubbyholes of the desk, and I've written a thank you note while sitting there.  I need to find a nice chair to use while at my desk.


Inside I've put many of my older books, and my Jane Austen.  I have other 'Austen' sequel books on the downstairs bookcase, and I will probably move those upstairs.  I think all my bookshelves need to be rearranged.


I have two copies of Stillmeadow Calendar by Gladys Taber.  Does anyone need a copy?
 My dust jacket for The Heart of the Family was torn by s sweet granddaughter.  Sad, but I did have a child of my own who tore book covers off of my Little House on the Prairie books when she was a toddler.  Can you believe it?



My desk is a thing of beauty and function, and I love it.

Quote de William Morris: Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful

9 comments:

Cheryl said...

I am still amazed at the great deal you got on this secretary! Barbara and I were talking about it on Monday when we were out antiquing! :) It is beautiful and you have made it yours and I love that!

Estelle's said...

I am loving this...such beauty and age...just my style and you are spot on with your design Deanna...beautiful!

Kim said...

The White Witch!! I remember that book...great memories of reading books when I was younger.

Vee said...

And another comment I must make... Ha! Well, let me say that I would be happy to pay for your extra copy of Stillwater Meadow, if it is still available. Your secretary is beautiful and I am glad that you have styled it in a traditional manner with books and stationery. I have some beautiful stamps to share with you , too. ☺

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

That is beautiful!!! I love it! When I bought the reproduction "pie safe" at Goodwill, the first thing I did was to put in it favorite books. ;)

Oh, there is a reason books with good dust jackets get a higher price in used book stores. They don't often make it past children and lots of reading. I can relate.

GrammaGrits said...

I would love the Stillmeadow Calendar - may I pay the postage? I have two other books by Taber and love her writing.

Instagram.com/melissasnotes said...

How lovely for you! It looks very nice with your additions. Did you find the cute white bunnies at Cracker Barrel? I've bought a couple of those size animals in various colors, they are just so adorable!

Sherry said...

what a beautiful piece of furniture. so glad you found it and are putting it to good use! :) i spy bess streeter aldrich, my favorite author. and grace livingston hill - my favorite book of hers is *the enchanted barn* - i haven't read *rainbow cottage* and need to add that to my never ending list of *must reads*!!!

podso said...

It looks great! And it's such a versatile piece of furniture you will enjoy tweaking it as the years to by!

Information Friday!

  Not a great photo, I took this one sitting in traffic today, but the color is starting to come on strong! Beauty everywhere! I truly wonde...